Author Topic: M42 to Horse Head in Bi Color  (Read 1297 times)

Offline ajbarr

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
M42 to Horse Head in Bi Color
« on: 2013 December 31 12:33:43 »
I added four hours of 1200 second exposures using OIII to my Ha data to create this image. I also took some very short RGB exposures to replace the stars with true color.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to all.

Albert

Offline marekc

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Re: M42 to Horse Head in Bi Color
« Reply #1 on: 2013 December 31 20:03:19 »
I'm rather a fan of bicolor, I have to say. First, I find that I like the colors of the nebulae that result from the bicolor process. Sure, I guess I'm *supposed* to want emission nebulosity to be "H-alpha red", and that color *is* indeed very nice. But I like the orange nebulae, too. I also think there's something elegant about being able to assemble a color image from just two filters, rather than three. It's kind of like a visual expression of the concept of `color index', which is determined using two filtered exposures.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I'd love to figure out a PI way of reverse-engineering Davide deMartin's bicolor processing of DSS data. He really gets those colors to pop!

This image has nice colors, too! I particularly like the emission nebulosity behind the Horsehead.

- Marek

Offline ajbarr

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
Re: M42 to Horse Head in Bi Color
« Reply #2 on: 2013 December 31 20:06:01 »
Thanks Marek. I did this the traditional way and it was too red for my taste. I am adding SII and that will be tricky. I've never seen a Hubble version of M42 that I really liked. But I guess we'll see.