Author Topic: Zenithal Color Moon  (Read 16999 times)

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
Zenithal Color Moon
« on: 2013 August 18 08:12:33 »
Hi there,

Friday night I carried out this little experiment from home. I took 105 raw exposures of the moon going thru the meridian, close to the cenit, with my canon 1000D and a barlow fitted AP130GT (1,5 mts FL). I processed the set entirely in PI 1.8: data reduction, alignment, stacking, and post-processing, similar to what I do with deep space data, including color enhancement. I used star alignment with 8 wavelet layers for structure detection, hoping it would bring out bright features of the moon suitable for alignment, given that the moon drifted quite a bit during the short session. It worked like a charm on the first try. I selected default distortion corrections parameters too. After reviewing the aligned set with Blink, I only had to reject about 5 frames that missed the alignment. For sharpening, I used Wiener filtering.

I like the end result very much, particularly colors and texture in the Copernicus region.

Suggest the hires version to appreciate the details.

with data: http://www.pampaskies.com/gallery3/Moon/Luna_Cenital_Color

hi-res: http://www.pampaskies.com/gallery3/var/fulres/Luna_Cenital_Color_hires.JPG

cheers
Ignacio
« Last Edit: 2013 August 19 09:11:50 by Ignacio »

Offline pfile

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cenital Color Moon
« Reply #1 on: 2013 August 18 11:44:18 »
that is amazing - ordinarily i'd use FFTAlignment for moon or solar images but your technique worked very well. the end result is one of the sharpest moon images i've ever seen.

rob

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #2 on: 2013 August 18 13:02:18 »
Thank you, Rob!

I typically use Avistack to process lunar images, but this result was a pleasant surprise.

I guess its sharpness, is in part due to the fact that no noise filter was used on the luminance channel at all, just a little bit of chrominance noise filtering on each iteration of color boosting.

Ignacio

Offline Juan Conejero

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://pixinsight.com/
« Reply #3 on: 2013 August 18 13:16:40 »
Ignacio,

Absolutely wonderful. Definitely one of the best lunar images I've seen. I love it, and I am particularly happy to know that you have used the new StarAlignment tool to make this image.

A future version of StarAlignment will offer the possibility to use several types of alignment features, besides stars. This may include corner detection, local maxima and scale invariant features such as SURF descriptors. These improvements along with the current local distortion correction feature (which will also be improved) will extend the applicability of SA to high-accuracy registration of lunar and planetary images, as well as panorama generation.
Juan Conejero
PixInsight Development Team
http://pixinsight.com/

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #4 on: 2013 August 18 13:37:03 »
Thanks a lot, Juan! It is good to hear about all the coming features of Star Alignment, extending it to surface registration.

Let me point out that the distortion correction handled very well the slightly curved focal plane (due to the use of a barlow lens), and resulted in a very sharp limb alignment, particularly on the sides of the moon, where you can easily follow the terrain change in height against the dark sky.

I also like, even in this high SNR situation, to be able to accurately calibrate subs to get that extra detail in the final image. This is something that eludes most planetary processing software out there.

best
Ignacio

Offline marekc

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013 August 18 20:26:37 »
Two comments:

First, very nice result, Ignacio! That's a great Moon image, and the color-enhancement worked quite nicely.

Second, I'm glad to see that PI can align images like this, for the purpose of making color-enhanced images of this type. I will be particularly interested to see the new features of the alignment tools, such as Juan described. I always wondered if PI could align non-star images, and now we know that it can (and will probably be able to do so even more capably, in the future.)

Neat stuff!

- Marek

Offline Geoff

• PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013 August 18 21:56:47 »
Another APOD? Great picture Ignacio.
Geoff
Don't panic! (Douglas Adams)
Astrobin page at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Geoff/
Webpage (under construction) http://geoffsastro.smugmug.com/

Offline FunTomas

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
    • Astrofoto.sk
« Reply #7 on: 2013 August 18 23:31:36 »
Hi Ignacio. Is it possible to explain how to align images of Moon using star alignment tool? Many thanks, and thank you for this nice and detailed image.

Offline vi100

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013 August 19 03:35:52 »
Amazing image! beautifull colors and very nice procesed.

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #9 on: 2013 August 19 08:47:55 »
Thank you all for the positive feedback!

Another APOD? Great picture Ignacio.
Geoff
Thanks, Geoff, I will give it a try. But I believe APOD likes to spread out images from any given author, as there are so many wonderful images to pick from. Somebody in another forum suggested LPOD instead, which I didn't know about.

Hi Ignacio. Is it possible to explain how to align images of Moon using star alignment tool? Many thanks, and thank you for this nice and detailed image.

Tomas, there isn't much to explain. Just pick the best image of the series as reference, select distortion correction, and make sure you change the number of wavelet layers for structure detection to 8. Then, use Blink on the registered set to make sure all images are correctly aligned (just don't use the ones that aren't, if any).

cheers
Ignacio

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #10 on: 2013 August 19 09:01:50 »
Just noticed the spelling error "Zenithal" not "Cenital" which is spanish, actually.

Sorry about that,
Ignacio

Offline astroedo

• PixInsight Addict
  • Io ne ho viste... cose che voi umani...
    • View Profile
    • L'arciere celeste
« Reply #11 on: 2013 August 19 09:04:41 »
It's a wonderful Moon: I Love it!

I've tried the same using a Lumenera SkyNyx 2-1C camera but I always get a pinkish color in the corners.
Your result is a pleasure for eyes.

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
« Reply #12 on: 2013 August 19 09:11:26 »
Thank you, Edoardo.

Have you tried splitting the RGB channels and aligning them with the same procedure? I did this in this image, which I am afraid I forgot to mention. I use the G channel as reference.

best
Ignacio

Offline chris_todd

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...
Re: Zenithal Color Moon
« Reply #13 on: 2013 August 19 09:15:28 »
Simply stunning!  What a wonderful shot.  Given the exposure details listed on your website (1/160 sec, ISO400), may I assume you were not shooting video, but just taking 100 still images? 

This makes me really look forward to using my DSLR with my 18" dob; I had tried doing video with it before, but it was frustrating to no end.  If I can just snap stills and process them entirely in PI, I might just have to do more lunar photography!
Uncooled, unmodified Canon T2i/550D, various lenses, and AstroTrac TT320X-AG
I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...

Offline Ignacio

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
    • PampaSkies
Re: Zenithal Color Moon
« Reply #14 on: 2013 August 19 09:40:29 »
Thank you, Chris. Yes, that is exactly the case, 100 RAW still images. I use the same workflow as in deep space imaging, up to the point of post-processing, which in this case is a lot simpler. Ah, and I use Wiener Restoration filter instead of deconvolution. One could use Reg. Van Cittert deconv instead, although it is a slower process.

best
Ignacio