Author Topic: M33 from September 2012, through an 80mm refractor  (Read 1264 times)

Offline marekc

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
M33 from September 2012, through an 80mm refractor
« on: 2013 February 16 13:14:23 »
Here's an image of M33, made from unbinned RGB data. I shot the data last fall, from a dark site in central California. I used my Orion ED80 semi-apo refractor, on a Losmandy G-11, with an SBIG ST-8300 mono camera. Subs were 15 minutes each, if I recall correctly. I wish I could remember how much total integration time went into the image, but I shot it over a few nights.

I'd try to embed the image, but it's taking forever (thanks to Flickr's changes to the way they handle their image links), and I'm burning daylight - I've got things to do. Here's a link to my blog post (which includes the image), and a link to the image on Flickr:

http://photonshotnoise.blogspot.com/2013/02/2012s-m33-at-last.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/siccarpoint/8479816594/sizes/l/in/photostream/

The hardest thing about this was Deconvolution. The magic solution was contained in Warren/RBA's video! I'm not going to give away the secret, but suffice it to say that their advice on how to get the PSF rescued me from months of frustration over Deconv!

- Marek

Offline chris_todd

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...
Re: M33 from September 2012, through an 80mm refractor
« Reply #1 on: 2013 February 17 08:50:24 »
Very nice!  I think you may have slain your White Whale, Ahab.   ;)

Your blog entry contains some very helpful PI workflow information, thanks for that.  I have never tried using Deconvolution, because I simply didn't understand it, but I purchased Warren's tutorials and will definitely review the deconvolution one.

Thanks for sharing, I always learn something every time I logon to this forum.
Uncooled, unmodified Canon T2i/550D, various lenses, and AstroTrac TT320X-AG
I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...

Offline Josh Lake

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
Re: M33 from September 2012, through an 80mm refractor
« Reply #2 on: 2013 February 17 11:09:13 »
Great image, but I especially appreciate the detail you shared in the blog entry. A snapshot of your workflow and thought processes really helps to understand the choices you made. Thanks!