Author Topic: SMC NGC 292  (Read 9591 times)

Offline Alejandro Tombolini

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
SMC NGC 292
« on: 2013 February 14 00:57:30 »
Continuing with the pictures from La Hacienda Los Andes in Chile
in our the last trip

NGC 292 description of processing

Camera: Canon 5DIII - Filtro Type I

Telescope: Takahashi FSQ-106EDX - Focal Lengh 530 mm -  f/5

Images: 41 x 5 minutos, 10 x 1 minuto, 10 x 15 segundos, 10 x 5 segundos. ISO 1600

Total time: 3 horas y 37 minutos

Credits: José Joaquín Pérez, Ezequiel Bellocchio, Daniel Verschatse, Adriana Fernández, Sergio De la Fuente e hijo, Leonardo Julio, Carlos Milovic y Alejandro Tombolini.

Program: PixInsight

The picture is going to be and HDRComposition of four images (300 seconds, 60 seconds, 15 seconds and 5 seconds). The choise of doing a HDR is due to de cluster, which lost information in the core in long exposure pictures, then HDRComposition tool will  replace that information, using the data from the lower exposure pictures.

Having lights, flats, darks and bias for each of the series, first I open Blink and select lights to detect posibles imperfect images to be eliminated (moved or out of focus).

At the same time I choose the best image to be use as reference image for alignment and integration. It also can be determinated with SubframeSelector Script.
The best one is image 28

In BatchPreprocessingScript Add Bias, Darks, Flats and Lights for each one of the series and will obtain four integrations

Now I use StarAlignment tool to register the four frames

and now it is necesary adjust the images before to HDR Composition. First a crop of the images:

Canon banding will be eliminated with CBR in horizontal and rotating the image 90° to apply also in vertical. After that, DBE. Both process to each one of the images.
Visualized with STF looks similar, even with different exposure time, because the stretching is also different in each image.

Finally HDRCompositon tool. The idea is to replace the pixels of the cluster:

Then,  I define a preview in the cluster and indicate it in HDRCompositon tool as area of interest

As result we obtain three masks and the image HDR. Comparing with the five minute integration can be seen how was recovered the information in the core of the cluster

Define a preview of the background to be used as Reference Image in BackgroundNeutralization Tool

After that, ColorCalibration using the same preview as Reference image in Background Reference and the HDR image as Reference image in White Reference

DynamicPSF to generate the PSF to be use in Deconvolution tool

First try with Deconvelution in a preview. Can be seen as some bright stars are affected in the core, then generate a star mask with StarMask tool with values by default to protect those stars

Protecting stars apply Deconvolution. See changes in the core of the cluster

First Masket Stretch with 100 iteration y TargetMedian 0,2. I have performed Masked Stretch in a clone of the image that late will delete to avoid that PI remember all the iterations when saving the project.

After Masked Stretch, apply HDRMT with the object of improve details in stars in the core of de cluster

Second Masked Stretch, but now TargetMedian 0,4

HT to clip shadow a little.

Extract  luminance from the image and apply HT for stretch and ATrousWaveletTransform to smooth a little. This mask is going to be used with CurvesTransformation

First protecting background with Lmask to increase saturation an color in the galaxy

And then inverting the Lmask to protect the galaxy an decrease "c"

SCNR to remove the green

There are areas that I want to highlight, mainly the faint nebulaes between the stars. For that I will work increasing saturation in those nebulaes.

Remove stars: First, clone the image and clone the clone. Apply to HDR_clone_clone to obtain the image with stars and some nebulae's structures.

Substract HDR_clone - HDR_clone_clone (the image that only have stars)

Make a clone of the image without stars and smooth it using ATWT in differents layer, decreasing or increasing the relative weight of wavelet in layers of different sizes

Now apply ATWT again in layers from 32, 64 and 128 pixels having as target the RGB channels to increase the contraste of that regions and protecting background with Lmask

Saturation of the nebulaes protecting background with Lmask

With PixelMath add the image without stars and its clone with nebulaes highlighted.

Come back to the image that only have stars and saturate

Next step is to recover the image, adding the stars and the nubulae with PixelMath, applying over the original image and protecting the background with Lmask.

HistogramTransformation transfering the STF on the base of HT Tool and apply protecting background with Lmask.

Too much work in saturation generate some issues in stars that will be corrected with ACDNR applied to chrominance

As I do not want to eliminate completely the green in the galaxy, I will apply SCNR with a mask made with G channel. Extract G and increase contrast with LHE and Curves. After that apply SCNR protecting the galaxy.

UnsharpMask to increase details, protecting the background with Lmask. (I like the definition in the center of the cluster and what can be achieved with HDRComposition)

Last color touch protecting background with Lmask

Resample for web publication

Addition of the name

Final Image:

Full resolution for download

Edit: Verylargeimage warning 17 MB

« Last Edit: 2013 February 26 04:33:49 by Alejandro Tombolini »

Offline Lex

• PixInsight Guru
  • We do it at night...
    • View Profile
Re: SMC NGC 292
« Reply #1 on: 2013 February 14 20:14:02 »
Alejandro,

what should I say; by watching your picture I feel like some bloody rookie again!
Your processing skills are simply huge just as your fantastic results  8)
Really a state of the art master piece!!

You have my biggest respect!

Thanks for sharing your techniques; keep them coming!

Best
Clear Skies!!

Lex

CGEM Mount, TS UNC 10" f5, Canon 450d self modded; QHY6 Guide Cam

Observatory 20 km SW of Luxemburg City

Offline cs_pixinsight

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013 February 14 20:32:32 »
Alejandro, I couldn't agree with Lex more.  I never miss a single one of your posts because these tutorials are fantastic step-by-step masterpieces.  You should be on the payroll  ;)

Craig

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
    • Astrophotography
« Reply #3 on: 2013 February 14 22:11:48 »
Hi Alejandro
Thanks - once again :) :) :) - for this complete and excellent tutorial!!
Raymond
Raymond

Planewave 14" CDK - 10Micron GM2000HPS
William Optics 110/770 & FF | HEQ5-Pro
Omegon 66/400 | MGEN-Lacerta
Canon 500d mod

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #4 on: 2013 February 15 02:01:28 »
Hi,
Thank you very much for your comments!, good to know that the detailed process is useful. :) :) :)

I am learning PI and trying to understand as much as possible how to use each tool and how to achieve a correct process. Please feel free of tell every thing you think can be improved/ modified / do in a better way etc. as it will be very useful for all of us.
Saludos.

Offline AstroScience

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013 February 15 14:14:18 »
Alejandro,
detailed process is more than a "useful", it's a compelling way of study for complex things, a specially for newcomers!
Thank you for your hard work and time invested in this!

Offline DMouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013 February 15 15:29:46 »
Wow! Great image and thanks for the workflow/tutorial. Makes me realise that there is a lot more I can do with PI.

Clear Skies

Paul

Offline kwalker

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013 February 16 04:50:50 »
Very intense wonderful image
Thank you for taking the time to show us you’re step by step processing.

Offline chris_todd

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...
« Reply #8 on: 2013 February 16 19:27:59 »
What a fantastic tutorial on how to process a great image!  And it's very timely for me, as I used a modified 5D MkII with a 200mm lens to shoot M42/43 and the belt of Orion at the Winter Star Party, and obtained 300s, 60s, 15s, and 2s images hoping to try the HDR composition tool, and here you have published a nearly perfect tutorial for me.  Thank you!

Uncooled, unmodified Canon T2i/550D, various lenses, and AstroTrac TT320X-AG
I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #9 on: 2013 February 26 04:34:12 »
Hi, added new link to large image in the first post.

Saludos. Alejandro.

Offline Geoff

• PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013 February 26 07:15:32 »
Hi, added new link to large image in the first post.

Saludos. Alejandro.

The detail in the large image is amazing once you zoom into it. Great image.  I'm not sure about the colour balance though.  47Tuc looks far too yellow.
Geoff
Don't panic! (Douglas Adams)
Astrobin page at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Geoff/
Webpage (under construction) http://geoffsastro.smugmug.com/

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #11 on: 2013 February 26 11:12:29 »
Hi Geoff, you are right, and you are not the first one that mention it. I am working on it, reprocessing the cluster and let you know the result. I will try to finish it today.
BTW, it is not 47 Tuc, it is NGC 362
Saludos,
Alejandro.

Offline Geoff

• PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013 February 26 21:54:18 »
BTW, it is not 47 Tuc, it is NGC 362
Saludos,
Alejandro.
Ah yes, the "forgotten" cluster. Always ignored because of it's proximity to 47 Tuc.
Geoff
Don't panic! (Douglas Adams)
Astrobin page at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Geoff/
Webpage (under construction) http://geoffsastro.smugmug.com/

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Próxima Sur
« Reply #13 on: 2013 February 28 02:21:01 »
Following with this, it was noted, and I agree, that the cluster NGC362 was too yellow..., that means that there is not blue stars,..., mmmh? ???

Then I tried again analizing the cluster more in details, due that I suspect that it was by excesive saturation in my previous processing. (I would appreciate comments about this)

Crop the image, to re-process only the cluster. I am going to saturate less than before, trying to resolve the stars in the core and see if the blue ones appears .

The first part until the determination of de PSF is de same I did in the previuos process of SMC

Apply FastRotation and create an star mask to be use with Deconvolution for protection of stars cores of the bright stars

Deconvolution, choosing the external PSF an setting global dark in deringing until there is not black rings.

Stars can be sharpened a little more, mainly those stars that usually remain in cluster as a circle shadow, without enough bright. For that I did another deconvolution and here I have many questions.
What happens with the image after deconvolution, is still linear? Can I deconvolve the image twice?..., well, I did
This time select another algorithm that sharpen a lot more, Regularized Van Cittert and play with Global dark and Global bright deringing until find the correct values

First MaskedStreth

HDRWaveletTransformation for dynamic range compression

Second MaskedStreth

HT for clipping shadows

Extract L and build a mask. Apply HT and ATWT for intensification and smoothness respectively

Curves - Saturation protecting background with L mask

Curves - Desaturation of the background protecting stars with L mask

HDRWaveletTransformation for dynamic range compression and achieve details in the core (Without masks)

Chrominance noise reduction with ATrousWaveletTransform in layers of 1, 2 and 4 pixels

Reduce green using SCNR tool, and for the first time I can see some little blue stars

Generate a starmask that let see big stars outside the cluster to correct some "imperfections"

Sorry but I am tempted to saturate a little more the stars.
For that, I generate a detailed mask that allow to see the faintest stars in the cluster using StarMask and ATrousWaveletTransform to smooth a little the layer of one pixel

Curves for color and saturation, but do not help too much with blue stars

Apply UnSharpMask with the previous mask protecting background

This background problems should not appear, but if they do, now we have the formula that Gerald has teached 

Finally HT to clip shadows and stretch, protecting background with the previous Lmask.

Final Image

Online FunTomas

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
    • Astrofoto.sk
« Reply #14 on: 2013 February 28 07:11:56 »
Alejandro. This is really amazing result. This last image looks absolutely natural. Excellent.