Author Topic: Huge 7x3 panel mosaic  (Read 6085 times)

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Huge 7x3 panel mosaic
« on: 2012 November 16 13:04:00 »
Hi,

I'm having problems with a 7x3 panel mosaic! I used TSXPro to obtain the panels! All panels overlaps by a large margin! Even so, I only can make part of the mosaic! Any hints? I'm using the licensed PI that I bought back in 2009 I think!
The problem is not HW related since I'm running an i7 with 8 GB RAM and an SSD!

Cheers,
paulo

Offline georg.viehoever

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Huge 7x3 panel mosaic
« Reply #1 on: 2012 November 16 13:08:28 »
Which operation fails? StarAlignment? What problems do you see? Why dont you upgrade to the latest PI version?
Many questions...
Georg (6 inch Newton, unmodified Canon EOS40D+80D, unguided EQ5 mount)

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 November 16 13:30:33 »
Hi,

I've the latest 64 bit version!

I could align about 15 panels!

Problems:

- star alignment (could not find interception)

regards,
paulo

Offline georg.viehoever

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 November 17 00:20:24 »
So 15 of 21 panels aligned. I wonder if you are suffering from the fact that StarAlignment cannot handle lens/projection distortions. What is the focal length of your images? Did you shot them all on the same telescope, or are the images from different sources? Are those that dont align mainly at the border of the tile set? Maybe you can provide some screenshots.
Georg

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 November 17 02:25:22 »
Hi Georg,

Thanks for your interest in my case  :)

FL= 641 mm. All images taken with the same Tak FS102 in the same night. All panels are only 15 min each (I only had time to get 15 min of each one).

I can't align all the missing panels in the image (there's 2 in the bottom), 4 to complete the image and then more 3 at the top!

Thanks for helping.

I will attach one image in each of the 3 replies.

It is an attempt to align panel 21 to the rest. (in fact there are only panels aligned...)

paulo
« Last Edit: 2012 November 17 02:36:52 by paulobao »

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 November 17 02:26:10 »
Another image

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 November 17 02:26:45 »
The last from tsx

Offline georg.viehoever

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 November 17 03:18:32 »
Paulo,

I dont see anything that is wrong with the way you are working. My only idea at this point would be the use previews to help StarAlignment to find matches, see http://pixinsight.com/doc/tools/StarAlignment/StarAlignment.html#usage_011 ("A Difficult Mosaic Example: Using Previews to Restrict Star Matching"). Did you already try this?

Did you try registration in different order? For instance, first join pairs of panels, then join the results to each other.

There are more experienced mosaic makers than me out there. Maybe they have additional ides.

Georg

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 November 17 06:02:15 »
Thanks Georg,

I did not try that! Thanks for the tips  :)

paulo

Offline RBA

• PixInsight Guru
    • View Profile
    • DeepSkyColors
« Reply #9 on: 2012 November 17 08:58:37 »
Yes, use previews. Not only you have better chances for SA to complete, it will also take less time.

PS: 8GB RAM is not necessarily "plenty of memory". It will depend on what you're trying to do.

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 November 17 13:41:52 »
Thanks Rogelio :-)
My panels are only 6 MB each....so 8 GB are enough for a 21 panel mosaic! I will try a realy huge one in summer  :)

Regards,
paulo

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 November 17 15:51:39 »
Hi,

you know what...it works great  :D. Using previews I managed to easly put the 21 panels in a mosaic  :D :D :D

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
paulo

Offline paulobao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 November 19 07:48:56 »
Hi,

one more question: previews solved my problem, it's true! Now all painel intercepted and I could create the TIFF file after the first step (Register/Union). But for the Register/Match process I'm still having problems! In this step the sw will use the files I added which are the whole files not the previews...! And like that the problem is till there! But...is any other way? I mean is there any way to use previews in this second step/stage?

So in summary:
1- I could accomplish the registration of all the 21 panels using Previews. (View; Register/Union Mosaic). A TIFF file was created of the 21 panels
2- I'm having problems with the Register/Match Images. In this case I use File where I put the Registered TIFF file obtained in 1 and add all the 21 files (corresponding to the 21 panels). But I use the whole files not the previews.

Thanks for any help,

cheers,
paulo

Offline jacksonlu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 November 19 16:36:05 »
I got something like this. My solution was find one of image I took by shorter focal and make it bigger by drizzle and then use it as a map. When you get each image aligned then mosaic all except this map. I guess my trouble was overlap area too small.

Offline TeeJay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • TeeJay's Astrophotography
« Reply #14 on: 2012 November 20 04:05:44 »
Well, there is a much easyer way. You can use the StarGenerator process to render an image of the stars in your area and use this as a reference frame.

cheers
TeeJay