Author Topic: New PixInsight fan  (Read 2536 times)

Offline DanH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New PixInsight fan
« on: 2012 October 17 01:31:03 »
Hello all,

I didn't find a place to introduce myself but, as I already have a question, I'll do it here.
I'm Dan, living in the sunny south of France and am brand new to the world of astrophotography.

I purchased PixInsight 2 weeks ago and, following the tutorials, had a chance to process my very first image for which I selected M31 which is an "easy" one.
It is really far from perfect, but I'm nevertheless quite happy. There is a lot of room for improvement...

One thing bugs me... when examining the picture at full resolution, I see red dots, about the size of one pixel, all over the image. I attach the reduced image, and the cropped center at 100% for you to see what's going on.

As this was my very first image with this camera, I most probably missed one step.
I took 10x300sec luminance Bin1 and 10x80sec R,G and B in Bin2  for a total exposure of 1:30 hour with Bias, Darks and Flats (9 each, bin1 and bin2)

Could one of you please shed some light ?

Thank you in advance.

Dan

PS: sorry if my english isn't perfect... I don't have many opportunities to practice.

« Last Edit: 2012 October 17 01:39:42 by DanH »
Meade APO 5000/127 - Starlight Xpress  SXVR H18+ SX Filter Wheel - 10Micron GM1000 HPS

Offline Ioannis Ioannou

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Re: New PixInsight fan
« Reply #1 on: 2012 October 17 03:04:14 »
Hello to PI (and to strange astrophotography) world,

Hot pixels, just hot pixels.
Did you followed the bias-dark-flat-dark/flat acquisition and calibration procedures ?
Normally calibration should take care of them.

BTW, if you consider M31 as easy, then you are very ambitious  ;) It is actually a tough target.
Clear Skies
John (Ioannis)

FSQ106N+Robofocus+QHY-22+SX USB wheel+Baader filters
SX OAG+DSI Pro guiding a NEQ6
PI for the rest :)

Offline Giorgio

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 October 17 03:38:25 »
Dan Hello and welcome to the forum,

Is certainly an error during calibration.

You made the process of CC after aligning the images? this creates problems.

Giorgio.

Offline DanH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 October 17 04:30:27 »
Hi,

@Giorgio : when you say CC, does it mean Color Calibration ? Sorry but I'm still not used to PI abbreviations and had to check in "all processes" to find out the meaning.  ;)
If this is the case, the answer is "No". I didn't even do any Color Calibration.

I'll redo the processing from scratch... just to make sure.

Dan
Meade APO 5000/127 - Starlight Xpress  SXVR H18+ SX Filter Wheel - 10Micron GM1000 HPS

Offline Giorgio

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 October 17 04:48:54 »
I'm sorry, you're right.

I mean CosmeticCorrection (CC) are in the Process Image Calibration CosmeticCorrection.

It also increases the number of bias from 30 to 60.

You can get useful information by going to this link.

http://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsighthome.html

Ciao

Giorgio

Offline DanH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 October 17 06:33:39 »
Hi,

I realized that, when using the Batch PreProcessing script version 1.2.2, all my masters (L,R,G,B) were showing those black pixels (the same ones turning red on the final image)

I then restarted the processing again, doing a Star Alignment followed by Image Integration on the Luminance, and those black spots disappeared.  :-\

Offline Giorgio

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 October 17 08:16:58 »
excellent     ;)

Giorgio.