Author Topic: LBN 576 / CTB 1 /Abell 85  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Ginge

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
LBN 576 / CTB 1 /Abell 85
« on: 2010 December 05 15:11:38 »
Hi all!

I've come to a conclusion on this my latest effort I've been working on since late September. Got some good subs early in the periode but during November however, freezing cold temperatures bore down on Scandinavia and with it came a haze that resulted in pretty lousy transmission that put a damper on a lot of clear nights. I collected a total of 44 hrs and still wish I could have had more since the conditions were so bad, but I figure there is also a time to stop and move on. Will revisit this one for sure, but for now: This is it, to paraphrase a newly deceased popstar.

Specs are as follows:

Optics: Vixen R200SS 8" f/4; MPCC
Camera: QSI 583wsg
Guider: DSI II via OAG
Mount: GPDX w/SS2K
Exposure: Ha:24x1800sec, OIII:36x1800sec, SII:28x1800sec, +Darks, Flats all binned 2x2
Total 44hrs
Filter: Astrodon 5nm Ha, OIII, SII
Imaged from Holmlia, Oslo/Norway
over 20 nights in September, October and November 2010.

Exposures aquired with Nebulosity2, guided with PHD. Reduced, registered, integrated and processed with PixInsight. Additional colour adjustments done in Photoshop CS4.

HST palette:

Large version: http://www.astrophotogallery.org/member-galleries/p6739-lbn-576-in-hst-palette.html

Synthetic green (RGB= HA-(OIII+20%HA)-OIII):

Large version: http://www.astrophotogallery.org/member-galleries/p6740-lbn-576-synthetic-green28ha28oiii-2b20-25ha-29-oiii-29.html

CFHT palette:

Large version: http://www.astrophotogallery.org/member-galleries/p6738-lbn-576-in-cfht-palette.html

Thanks for looking. All comments and advice are very welcome!

Clear skies!
Ginge

Offline sleshin

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
Re: LBN 576 / CTB 1 /Abell 85
« Reply #1 on: 2010 December 05 16:37:11 »
Hi Ginge,

Those are all beautiful images of a very interesting and unusual target. Well done.

I'm thinking about getting a camera with the 8300 chip to use with my TEC 140. How do you like your QSI 583? How did you decide to get that camera rather than the SBIG or one of the other cameras that has that chip?

Steve
Steve Leshin

Stargazer Observatory
Sedona, Arizona

Offline Ginge

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 December 06 00:17:25 »
Hi there Steve, and thanks a lot!

I aquired the QSI before SBIG launched their 8300 cam, therefore I never actually had to choose between QSI and SBIG. The reason I did go with the QSI was the nice features in addition to the chip, for instance the ability to use small filters without getting a lot of vignetting on my f/4 8", thus saving a lot of cash. Also the chassie looked compact without any protruding structures that would catch cables on my moblie rig.

The often horrible seeing conditions in Oslo isn't very inviting on the high resolution given by this chip and my 8", but I found that binning 2x2 would give me a very nice sampling rate for the local conditions. Also, if I get a new scope in the future, I will most probably go with a larger FOV that will work with the full resolution of the chip.

Other than that, I felt that an active user community was essential. The possibility of getting help fast if something goes wrong is very important to me 8). I found the level of activity on the QSI users group and the participation of QSImaging representatives very useful indeed.

Good luck on deciding!

Clear skies,
Ginge 

Offline Jordi Gallego

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 December 06 07:42:48 »
Hi Ginge,

a beautiful image. All three versions are very nice but I personally specially like the one with synthetic green ;)
Jordi Gallego
www.astrophoto.es

Offline Emanuele

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 December 06 10:46:56 »
VERY NICE Ginge! :)

Offline Silvercup

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 December 06 10:59:23 »
very nice, indeed.

Best, Silvercup

Offline Ginge

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 December 06 12:16:21 »
Hey Jordi, Emanuele and Silvercup. Thank you very much for you comments. Jordi: I tend to favour the synthetic green myself, however I also do the HST as I think I can trace the difference in structures between Ha, OIII and SII better. Don't really know why I did the CFHT. I messed up the color separation, thats for sure  ;)

Clear skies,
Ginge

Offline Jack Harvey

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
    • PegasusAstronomy.com & Starshadows.com
« Reply #7 on: 2010 December 16 09:29:01 »
just now saw these.  very nicely done
Jack Harvey, PTeam Member
Team Leader, SSRO/PROMPT Imaging Team, CTIO

Offline Ginge

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 December 16 09:56:38 »
Hi Jack!

Thanks for looking and commenting! I greatly appreciate it. I'm upgrading my mount too, only in a slightly more modest manner as I'm retiring my GPDX in favor of a Tak EM200 Temma II. Hopefully my FWHM will improve a bit too ;)

Clear skies!
Ginge

Offline Jack Harvey

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
    • PegasusAstronomy.com & Starshadows.com
« Reply #9 on: 2010 December 17 05:35:17 »
Good for you.  I think we often underestimate the importance of the mount.
Jack Harvey, PTeam Member
Team Leader, SSRO/PROMPT Imaging Team, CTIO