PixInsight > General

Which version to download for an antique system?

(1/1)

GaryP:
I'm still clinging to my late 2009 iMac until it dies and running OS X 10.9.5. What is the latest version of Pixinsight that will run on it?

Juan Conejero:
Hi Gary,

No current version of PixInsight can run on Mac OSX 10.9. The minimum supported version is macOS 10.12. The latest version 1.8.7 requires a processor with SSE4.2 instruction support, so your Core 2 Duo CPU cannot run it. Time to get a new machine!

GaryP:
Hi Juan,
I fear my question may have been misunderstood. I was not asking for a current version. I downloaded a new version and followed the install instructions to jettison the Pixinsight folder from Applications. After installing I got the bad news that the new version would not work on my Mac. The original version is gone from the Trash bin. So now I am without PI. I simply wanted to reinstall an old version that will work. Since the vintage software seems to be unavailable, it looks like I will be deprived of PI until such time in the future as I can justify the expense and fuss of a new computer.
Gary

GaryP:

--- Quote from: Juan Conejero on 2019 October 02 11:07:47 ---Hi Gary,

No current version of PixInsight can run on Mac OSX 10.9. The minimum supported version is macOS 10.12. The latest version 1.8.7 requires a processor with SSE4.2 instruction support, so your Core 2 Duo CPU cannot run it. Time to get a new machine!

--- End quote ---

Juan,

I thought a bit about the installation of the new version of PixInsight and realized I might be able to reinstall my old version by recovering it from a backup drive and dropping it into Applications (after removing the inappropriate new version). This seems to work so I will limp along with my antique system for a bit longer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version