Author Topic: StarNet - new module for star removal  (Read 22540 times)

Offline eoverstreet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: StarNet - new module for star removal
« Reply #135 on: 2020 January 13 18:29:12 »
Bingo!  It's working and a big thanks for the guidance.

Offline sparkyht

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2020 January 15 18:43:40 »
Tried loading this module for the first time using 1.8.8-3 Linux, searching for module fails before I can even select it. Per the instructions, after going to Process>Modules>Install Modules, clicking on 'Search' causes PI to instantly crash and exit. Files are in /opt/PixInsight/bin as per instructions. Is this a PI Linux issue or a StarNet/++ issue?

So no ideas here? Apparently no one has gotten the StarNet++ PI module to work on Linux to help me out? Great. All I can do is follow the instructions, which ain't that difficult. PI crashes before I can even attempt to scan the module in, so I'm at a loss here.

**EDIT** Looking further into this, it appears the Xeon X5675 does not support AVX instructions. libtensorflow is compiled for AVX, so that's likely the cause of the crash right there. Darn. :(
« Last Edit: 2020 January 15 22:52:17 by sparkyht »

Offline Astrovetteman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2020 January 16 09:00:44 »
I finally got Starnet++ to work in Pixinsight on my iMac running Catalina...only took about 6 hours of manipulating files and reading Forum posts!!  Am I correct that Starnet will ONLY work on 16bit unassigned TIFF files?
Thanks!
Tom

Online pfile

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2020 January 16 09:06:26 »
the command line versions only work on 16-bit tiff files. however, the pixinsight module can run on any view that you have open on the desktop, no matter the bit depth.

although starnet only works on stretched images, astroedo figured out how to run it on linear images by using STF to figure out an MTF curve to temporarily stretch the image in a way that can be undone.

rob

Offline Astrovetteman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2020 January 16 09:17:59 »
the command line versions only work on 16-bit tiff files. however, the pixinsight module can run on any view that you have open on the desktop, no matter the bit depth.

although starnet only works on stretched images, astroedo figured out how to run it on linear images by using STF to figure out an MTF curve to temporarily stretch the image in a way that can be undone.

rob
Thanks for the info....I just was corresponding with another member and he said the same thing.  I'm just going to play around with it and see what comes out...sure I'll have some more questions!!
Thanks Again!!
Tom

Offline gvanhau

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2020 January 24 06:30:58 »
Hello Nikita,

I've been testigin this module with excelent results.
I tested it on many different images with dissimile focal lengts and resolution including wide field images and it worked perfectly on all of them.

Thank you for making this available to us.

regards
Geert
Geert Vanhauwaert