Author Topic: Mure Denoise Script -- When to Apply  (Read 200 times)

Offline niteman1946

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Mure Denoise Script -- When to Apply
« on: 2019 April 13 14:26:25 »
Hi Group,

John Hayes posted a great image of M66 on the CN forum.  And he credited at least some of the results to applying the Mure Denoise (script).
I researched this tool and found it genuinely does a fine job of smoothing the image background without (in my opinion) ruining the target.

In my case I applied the script to the integrated luminance image after crop and DBE.  This is while still linear.
However, I think the documentation recommends applying either directly after integration, or at latest directly after crop.

I tried prior to DBE, but the results were extremely grainy with loss of detail.  But post DBE gave a great look and was more effective than TGV.

And the rest of the processing went as expected.

I'll accept that my interpretation of the docs was wrong.  But any thoughts on that?

Here's a quick screen print.  TGV processing on the left, MURE on the right.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
Re: Mure Denoise Script -- When to Apply
« Reply #1 on: 2019 April 13 15:32:54 »
Mark

Here is a posting from Mike Schuster about when he suggest to use his Mure Denoise tool.
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=9206.msg59107#msg59107

I would suggest looking at the entire posting as there is much information about the tool and it's progression through versions. Searching for Mure in the forum will turn up a couple of pages worth of results also.

Mike

Offline Geoff

• PixInsight Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019 April 13 16:13:50 »
The one on the left looks better. The one on the right looks to have too much smoothing.
Don't panic! (Douglas Adams)
Astrobin page at http://www.astrobin.com/users/Geoff/
Webpage (under construction) http://geoffsastro.smugmug.com/

Offline mschuster

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019 April 15 21:03:38 »
Yes, the script is designed to be used immediately after integration. Any further processing risks invalidating its results. The script uses a noise model that accounts reasonably well for the impacts of the calibration, alignment, and integration processes. Unfortunately it just can't deal with other modifications, even if the results remain linear. I suggest double checking script parameters. As a sanity check you might also try denoting a single calibrated frame. Don't expect the results to be "smooth". If that is what you want don't use the script.
« Last Edit: 2019 April 16 08:55:48 by mschuster »

Offline niteman1946

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019 April 16 13:01:14 »
Thanks Guys for your responses.
Not what I had expected, but that’s OK.

I’ll do more reading on this for the future.

Mark