Author Topic: Problem processing faint nebula  (Read 606 times)

Offline KnoxW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem processing faint nebula
« on: 2018 January 25 11:04:56 »
Hi,
I recently took some images of both SH2-240, Spaghetti Nebula and IC2118, The Witch Head Nebula using my ES80mm with 0.8x reducer and my StarLight Xpress M25C OSC. I took a both 600sec and 1200sec subs. as well as 50 bias, 50 flats and around 50 darks at both 600 and 1200 sec. My problem is that the pictures of the nebula; especially the Spaghetti Nebula, are very dim (actually, I can see no detail of the Spaghetti) and I'm not sure how to bring out any detail. I used my older OSC camera because it has a much larger FOV than my Atik One mono. I would appreciate any suggestions. If you'd like to have a go with the picture let me know and I'll email the calibrated, stacked, debayered 600sec pic of either the Witch Head or the Spaghetti Nebula to you.
I used BatchPreProcessing, 17 - 600sec subs at -20C; calibrated, stacked and debayered. Did a dynamic crop but no other processing done.
My first attempt at using PixInsight was the Pacman Nebula (jpeg attached) so I thought I give a faint nebula a go. Now the Pacman was with my Atik One and LRGB filters not my OSC.

Thanks
Knox W

Offline Richard Christy - DarkSky|AP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • DarkSky|AP
Re: Problem processing faint nebula
« Reply #1 on: 2018 January 26 12:00:05 »
Would you be open to sharing an unedited version of the stacked image? I am willing to try and process it and see what I can do to bring out some detail.
Rich Christy

Telescope:
Celestron EdgeHD 8''
Stellarvue SV70T

Camera:
ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool

Filters:
Astrodon Tru-Balance LRGB E-Series Gen2
Astrodon HA, OIII, SII 3nm Narrowband

Offline KnoxW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem processing faint nebula
« Reply #2 on: 2018 February 02 08:42:49 »

Hi,

Sorry to take so long to reply; I've been out of state for the last week. Went to Texas to Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge.
Sure, I can post the pic; it has only been debayered, calibrated and stacked - no post processing done. I don't see where / how to post such a large file here; the site states file size limited to 512KB and the pic is around 71MB uncropped and 40MB cropped. If you would like, let me know your email address and I'll send it that way.

Knox Worde