Author Topic: "Error: Unknown exception" persists with ImageIntegration build 445 on Mac  (Read 217 times)

Offline johnpane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
* Integrating channel 1 of 3:
*** Error: Unknown exception
<* failed *>

There is a larger excerpt from the console log below. Files and ImageIntegration settings to reproduce are in this zip file on DropBox:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/iob9tcy2r8k9pz4/PixInsight%20ImageIntegration%20bug%20report.zip

Weights is currently set to use a FITS keyword. Error does not occur if I change weights to "Noise evaluation". However, it still fails if I change weights to "Don't care."

Alternatively, turning off "Generate drizzle data" will avoid the error.

This was originally reported in https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=11554.0, but the title on that thread was not directly applicable to this bug, so I am starting this new thread.

--- excerpt from console log ---
ImageIntegration: Global context

* Loaded cache: 420 item(s)

Opening files:

/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4954_c_d_a_r.xisf
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4954_c_d_a_r.xnml
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4954_c_d_a_r.xdrz
Loading image: w=5496 h=3670 n=3 RGB Float32
* Retrieved data from file cache.
45 FITS keyword(s) extracted.
Weight          :     1.00000    1.00000    1.00000

* Using 2 worker threads.
[000] /Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4955_c_d_a_r.xisf
[001] /Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4956_c_d_a_r.xisf

* Waiting for running tasks to terminate...

/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4955_c_d_a_r.xisf
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4955_c_d_a_r.xnml
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4955_c_d_a_r.xdrz
Weight          :     0.99230    0.99230    0.99230

/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4956_c_d_a_r.xisf
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4956_c_d_a_r.xnml
/Users/pane/Desktop/PixInsight ImageIntegration bug report/JFP_4956_c_d_a_r.xdrz
Weight          :     0.98153    0.98153    0.98153

Integration of 3 images:
Pixel combination .................. average
Output normalization ............... local
Weighting mode ..................... custom keyword: INTEGRATIONWEIGHT
Scale estimator .................... iterative k-sigma / BWMV
Pixel rejection .................... none

* Using 763 concurrent pixel stack(s) = 159.97 MiB

* Integrating channel 1 of 3:
*** Error: Unknown exception
<* failed *>

Offline johnpane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Still hoping this bug report will get some attention before it falls off the radar...

Offline Juan Conejero

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://pixinsight.com/
Hi John,

I still haven't been able to analyze this problem because I am too busy with other priority tasks currently (including a new RAW format module to overcome the end of dcraw support). I'll try to fix this problem as soon as possible; be sure it is not "off the radar" by any means.
Juan Conejero
PixInsight Development Team
http://pixinsight.com/

Offline johnpane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you Juan. I certainly understand that you have to set priorities.

It is a bit surprising you aren't getting more reports of this problem. I have been unable to complete processing any of my datasets using both drizzle integration and a weights keyword written by SubframeSelector.

Offline johnpane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Not sure if this will help you figure it out, but in ImageIntegrationInstance.cpp, all of the weight modes that fail (i.e. crash) assign a scalar value to the DVector m_weight, but the weight mode that succeeds (NoiseEvaluation) assigns the weight(s) to m_weight[c]. I don't know enough about C++ to know if assigning a scalar value to a vector could be the issue but it caught my eye.

Offline johnpane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I now see that DVector is designed to do the right thing when a scalar is assigned to the vector.

The crash is occurring on line 4184 of ImageIntegration.cpp:
               s[i] = IntegrationFile::FileByIndex( i ).Scale( c );

In my setup, needScale is false and m_scale is thus unallocated when it is accessed in Scale().
« Last Edit: 2017 November 15 11:31:54 by johnpane »