Author Topic: M33 integration challenge from Bortle 9  (Read 800 times)

Offline bvalente

• View Profile
M33 integration challenge from Bortle 9
« on: 2017 November 25 13:58:35 »
Hi everyone,

boy I've taken this about as far as I can, and I'm genuinely wondering if it's worth trying to image from the light polluted urban los angeles.  I'm talking ground zero bortle 9 here.

I've taken a stab here at M33 with LRGB and Ha. I haven't gotten to the HA part yet. It's about 1 hour in each channel, a bit more in L

The data is reasonably well calibrated (the flats are a little off here and there), they are drizzle enhanced, registered and cropped. I haven't done noise reduction. What's left is integration, background extraction, and beyond. I haven't tried to get past background extraction since i haven't been able to produce a reasonable result.

I could fiddle with background extraction some more, but honestly i just don't know if it's possible to pull off good quality deep space objects from where I am. It feels sooo close but i don't really get past this point. I just don't know if it's worth pursuing it or cutting my losses and images less frequently

Any input on this question would be really appreciated.

the calibrated, registered, drizzled, cropped frames are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/507r0dg9t1m4sfk/M33%20lum%20initial%20integration%2Bdrizzle_r.zip?dl=0

Brian

Offline pfile

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: M33 integration challenge from Bortle 9
« Reply #1 on: 2017 November 25 14:53:33 »
i grew up there but never imaged from there of course. i remember the sky being white at night even as far back as the 80s.

different light pollution maps say different things about where i live now (east SF bay) but most likely it's a red zone. i routinely find myself at 30+ hours for RGB targets, and the LP gradients are a bear.

i guess i would say it's worth trying just for the exercise. get 8-10h per channel and see what happens. if it still sucks, then never do it again :)

here is what M33 with a 92mm refractor looks like at about 8h per RGB channel. at some point in my career here at home i gave up using the L filter, so this is HaRGB only.

rob

Offline Greg Schwimer

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017 November 25 14:58:11 »
I think you're off to a good start.

One thing I found when I was imaging from my light-polluted home was that capturing L was an exercise in capturing light pollution. The RGB filters I had did a good job of handling it so I ended up only doing RGB and getting lots of it, binned 1x1. I then created a synthetic luminance from the individual RGB integrated masters by resetting ImageIntegration to defaults and disabling all pixel rejection and integrating the RGB masters.
- Greg
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Offline bvalente

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017 November 25 15:45:39 »
interesting i might try processing without L and see how that looks.

Thanks