Author Topic: Another boring M33 image but need opinions  (Read 3220 times)

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Another boring M33 image but need opinions
« on: 2016 December 10 08:31:49 »
Hello

Bellow is my processed image of M33. It is 51 5 minute images. Fully processed in PixInsight. I have also included links to the fits final my process container with the history and the original integrated image. So you guys can have it to see what I have done and see if you can give me some suggestions for improvement.

Link to Process container and original stacked image: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y43x4igfzfccby8/AADFKSWP3hjhvlzYmnMqUAQka?dl=0

Here is a .jpg for a quick reference.

OH by the way A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON FROM SEDONA AZ

:) :) :) :)

Offline Greg Schwimer

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Another boring M33 image but need opinions
« Reply #1 on: 2016 December 10 09:20:38 »
Very nice! I'd back off on the noise reduction a bit.
- Greg
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016 December 12 14:48:57 »
Hello Schwin

I backed off on the noise reduction what about now.

Steve

Offline Greg Schwimer

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016 December 14 21:22:52 »
Still a tad heavy on the NR but that's just my taste. What matters most is that you like it.
- Greg
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017 January 03 11:05:56 »
Been working on noise reduction how does it look now?

Steve

Offline Greg Schwimer

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017 January 03 20:42:52 »
Steve,

Did you add or tweak deconvolution? It looks like there is an addition of artifacts that I don't see in the prior version. This appears mainly in the galaxy itself.

The NR still looks a tad on the heavy side, but its tough to say without knowing how good your data is. Maybe share the LRGB masters so some of us can take a poke at it?

- Greg
- Greg
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017 January 03 21:22:25 »
HI Greg

I did change how I did noise reduction and decreased heavy hand and finished with sharpening with MLT which did seem to add artifacts in the Galaxy. Still learning how to sharpen.

Here is the Master LRGB stretched https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y2o764mg39lwj9/M33_RGB_1217_clone1.fit?dl=0

Have fun

Steve

Offline Greg Schwimer

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017 January 03 22:01:21 »
Can you provide the unprocessed master channels? This would be just after image integration, pre-stretch with no processing done at all. Best place to start....
- Greg
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017 January 04 06:49:51 »
Hi Greg
Thanks for the response. Yes I can provide the original file and here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmggjv710dudqu2/M33_RGB_1217.xisf?dl=0

I would provide the history but I do not have a great workflow and tend to create new images so there is always a break in the history especially because I am learning the ins and outs of PixInsight. I need to have a better workflow with previews when I am experimenting so I have a proper history for this purpose. It might even save hard drive space. Well tha is something to learn

Have fun with the new file. This was taken with a OSC camera so I created a synthetic Luminance from extracted RGB

Steve

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #9 on: 2017 January 05 00:15:12 »
Steve

I took a crack at your M33. Noise reduction was only done at the end of the processing. The link below is to the full resolution image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13r3kYqTf8Nc2NheU1WaVpuR2c/view?usp=sharing

Mike

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #10 on: 2017 January 05 00:41:22 »
Steve

If you like a darker background and more color saturation here is a little tweak. As a note I should have done better with DBE and the second image shows the problems in the corners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13r3kYqTf8NdHJlRkhUbWNPbE0/view?usp=sharing

Mike

Offline tdgm

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017 January 05 07:14:56 »
Hi Mike

Nice images like color better in 2 but what problem in corners I do not see anything wrong

But I have been reworking the image my self with better rejection during integration, changes in DBE and noise reduction with better deconvolution of synthetic luminance. Below is link to a fits copy and below is a quick jpg. Both are not finished just after LRGB combination so no Non Lunear processing yet so that is why still some green. What do you think of work so far?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2ie5freexgw8eb/M33Workflow_RGB_1417.fit?dl=0

steve

Offline msmythers

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi
    • View Profile
    • astrobin
« Reply #12 on: 2017 January 05 08:48:56 »
Steve

If you look at my second image, the full resolution you will see some sight magenta coloring in the lower left and upper right, also along the very left edge. This is because I did not get DBE completely correct. A second pass is in order or a better first pass.

I do not do synthetic L processing on OSC cameras when using PixInsight. I'm not sure there is any advantage. Since a separate L image is not collected during capture and PI tools will work on the L portion of the image already I don't see where one gains an advantage. With a Mono CCD it makes total since to combine the R,G,B images with L image. You gain more total integration time for the final L component of the image. Anyway just my opinion.

Attached are 2 comparisons of your latest image and mine at roughly the same point in the processing flow, just after stretching for mine. In your image there are black rings around the brighter objects. This happens during Deconvolution. The global dark and bright settings along with Iterations if you using PSF. Those settings along with StdDev if your using parametric. I used a mask over the galaxy during decon. I don't see the need to use decon on the background stars. By using too much Decon on the background you run the risk of turning a very faint, fuzzy galaxy or other non star object into a sort of round star.

Also attached is the Decon settings I used.

Take this all with a grain of salt. Just how I do things.

Mike

I also have not done any noise reduction, not even during Decon.