Author Topic: The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight by PixInsight Coffee  (Read 7267 times)

Offline tomb18

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight by PixInsight Coffee
« Reply #30 on: 2016 November 29 05:38:45 »
I am going to ask again...znd please don't ask me to look at the FAQ because its not in there...If one buys this do we get free updates to the content?

Offline tomb18

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2016 November 29 05:45:16 »
I am extremely upset by the lack of documentation in the PixInsight product.  In the Windows application, 67 out of 89 processes are NOT documented.  I understand that you are the main author of the MultiScale .. processes.  Why are they not part of the Official PixInsight documentation?  They are not in the product nor are they in the Pixinsight Documentation repository.  So how can I be sure if I buy your book that you won't leave them out as well?
I'm sorry but the PixInsight record on documentation is horrible and if this is any where near as bad why would I want to buy it?
You guys need to be accountable and honest and give us at least the documentation of the product without paying for it again. Especially since there is no guarantee it will be good.

Offline jkmorse

• PixInsight Padawan
  • Two questions, Mitch . .
    • View Profile
    • Jim Morse Astronomy
« Reply #32 on: 2016 November 29 19:29:57 »
Tomb18,

Chill out, my friend.  We got it, you want PS type documentation when paying one quarter the cost of PS for a far superior product, at least as it concerns astro-image processing (and ignoring the fact that even there you have to pay extra for anything good, such as the Missing Manual series).  You, like many others who first start using PixInsight (PI), seem to think that PI is point and click software and that there should be some documentation that if you set the parameters for a tool at x, you get y.  If that is all you want, just go with the default settings.  But PI is so much deeper than that and recognizes that each image requires its own treatment to bring out the best from your data.  That is why the mantra you will hear from experienced users is experiment, experiment, experiment.  That way you learn the tools at the same time you learn how best to apply them.  Its also why Juan and company would have a hard time writing documentation that you seem to be demanding since use of the tools is so data specific.  But there are enormous resources available, some free and some at a modest cost. 

What PixInsight Coffee offers (I am in no way affiliated with PI Coffee or PI itself) is a great reference for getting your head around how to navigate the program.  You can buy it or not, your choice.  If you don't want to pay, that's fine but stop berating those providing a real service.  Many of us have also offered our own efforts available for the asking, free of charge and readily available on the web.  Harry's is a great place to start, Warhen's new book is another excellent resource (available for purchase), and my own workbook is now up to Rev 41a and, at over 70 pages, provides lots of helpful information.  If you want a copy, just say so by dropping me a line at jkmorse57@gmail.com.  Our contributions, as well as those from the truly talented script writers should tell you in what high regard we hold this software.  But just because we do contribute doesn't mean we "owe" you anything.

Consider this a post-election rant and ignore if you want to.

Jim 

Really, are clear skies, low wind and no moon that much to ask for? 

New Mexico Skies Observatory
SBIG STXL 6303E w/AOX
Planewave CDK17 - Paramount MEII
Planewave IFR90 - Astrodon LRGB & NB filters
SkyX - MaximDL - ACP

http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com
http://www.astrobin.com/users/JimMors

Offline tomb18

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2016 November 29 21:08:43 »
Post election rant,....Ha, I know how you feel and I am not American.
But back on topic: I'm sorry but the documentation doesn't have to be a mathematical treatment of the algorithms.  The multiscale transforms ...arguably some of the most important tools, are not documented.  And the author of these tools has released "The Official Guide"  and who's to say they will be in there?  Have you read the comments in the Apple Store?  One person wants his money back!
I write software myself and have a couple thousand users.  Sure it's not as involved as PixInsight but it does digital signal processing which is not trivial.  I have GOOD documentation with the result that I may have on average 10 emails a week for support.  I bet if they at least made an effort, there would be a lot less emails that they might get for support.  But then again it doesn't matter, they don't answer them anyways.
If there were  few missing documents that's one thing.  But 67 out of 89?  That's just an insult to the user base.

Offline Juan Conejero

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://pixinsight.com/
« Reply #34 on: 2016 November 29 23:33:40 »
Yes, we do lack reference documentation. That's a fact. However, you've got a trial license to see how PixInsight is, what it has and what it doesn't have. The documentation is basically the same now as it was during your trial period, so this deficiency shouldn't be a big surprise. Anyway, since you are so terribly upset... my offer to refund your license fee is still in effect. It will not last forever, though, so I suggest you take advantage of it as soon as possible.

Juan Conejero
PixInsight Development Team
http://pixinsight.com/

Offline jkmorse

• PixInsight Padawan
  • Two questions, Mitch . .
    • View Profile
    • Jim Morse Astronomy
« Reply #35 on: 2016 December 01 15:53:22 »
I also want to address one more point that is at the heart of this and at least one other thread.  It is misleading to say that the vast majority of processes have no documentation.  That is simply not true.  I went back and did some checking last night, looking at a couple of dozen processes, including all of the multiscale processes.  I will concede that if you click on the little documentation button that there is nothing there.  But that ignores the fact that for each of those tools virtually every item that you can manipulate, whether it be a slider, button, or otherwise, is annotated, and sometimes heavily so.  All you have to do is hover your mouse over the descriptor for that input item and you get a wealth of detail on what that input does and often recommendations on how to use it and detailed explanations of what it does.  Its a disservice to PI to suggest they haven't made the effort to make the tools accessible.

Jim
Really, are clear skies, low wind and no moon that much to ask for? 

New Mexico Skies Observatory
SBIG STXL 6303E w/AOX
Planewave CDK17 - Paramount MEII
Planewave IFR90 - Astrodon LRGB & NB filters
SkyX - MaximDL - ACP

http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com
http://www.astrobin.com/users/JimMors