Windows: ColorManagementSetup - current monitor profile setting is not picked up

dswtan

1.8.8-6 (x64), Win10 Pro 20H2.

I was really surprised to find today that PI was using an old monitor profile rather than my new monitor profiles set-up about 6-months ago. I think it has been doing this for some time, since I had noticed inconsistent color management in my astro photos, but couldn't understand why. I only noticed this because the profile being embedded is shown in the console during an XISF save.

Is the expectation that I must manually change the settings in PI if I ever change monitors or profiles in Windows again, e.g. re-calibrate my monitor? I would've expected PI to just use my current profile set up in Windows. The setting in the ColorManagementSetup "System Settings" implies this to me, but was still the old profile. My expectation is that global OS setting should propagate to all my apps automatically, including PI.

The old profile was still set in ALL fields of the CMS dialog --- Monitor, System, Default RGB/Grayscale, Proofing. I had to manually update each one to the setting I have in Windows.

Note: new profile is .icm rather than .icc, if that is the issue?

Once a monitor profile has been selected, it remains in use unless the corresponding profile file is removed, or unless you program a <reset-profiles> procedure in the New Monitor Profile field of the ColorManagementSetup dialog.

Windows does not inform applications of monitor profile changes in any way. PixInsight does not look for a new system monitor profile upon startup if it already has been using one and it is still an existing and valid ICC profile. This is by design, so there is no bug here. You can consider this behavior as incorrect or as a limitation, although we implemented it this way precisely because users were complaining about not being able to select a monitor profile independently on the system monitor profile. There are important changes planned for our color management engine, and this behavior will probably be different in future versions.

Back