Window 'Linking' and 'Active' Overlays?

DrJimSok

Folks,

I used to work a lot w/ space based Earth imagery (usually called Remote Sensing) and there's a bunch of software to do that. I was particularly adept w/ a tool called ENVI (The Environment for Visualizing Images), which was written in IDL, which is kinda cool as most American Astronomers learn IDL (or at least we did in the mid 80s). The reason I bring it up is it has some nice features that PI might be able to create to improve workflow.

First is w/ comparing images that have gone through different processes. One can 'Link' two displays, so that when you want to pan or zoom around in one, this is immediately reflected in the other. It makes a really nice workflow for comparing two images... well actually in ENVI you can link as many windows as you want... The fact that PI can replicate a view in one window into another by dragging and dropping the appropriate tab is a great start... but if that also linked the displays... now that'd be pretty cool... and useful??

The other thing w/ Linked windows is you can chose to have an active overlay between them... so when you have the cursor in one, and left (or you could do right) click, you get a rectangular array from the other image superimposed on the current one... again, you can pan around and the active overlay goes along with you. With multiple linked displays, the overlays can only be done between any two... but that's another workflow thing.

Jim

Back