Which star alignment images failed?

Linwood

I feel like I'm missing the obvious, like looking for my glasses when they are on my forehead but...

I did a star alignment with about 400+ images. Seven of them failed. Probably for good reason; I am not asking why (yet ;)).

But I would like to look more closely at them, maybe run them separately (with the same reference) with different parameters, maybe happily delete them.

They are lost from the process log due to length apparently.

I realize I could rerun the many hour run with error handling set to abort -- and find one at a time.

I could write a program to scan the files looking for ones with *_a without *_r, which is probably the simplest external way (they have mixed and missing sequence numbers so just eyeballing is not a good way).

But... is there a Pixinsight way, some kind of record or recap that I'm missing? I feel like there ought to just be a button I hit and get a list or some such?

Linwood

Did you try the 'On error:' policy 'Ask user' instead of the default setting 'Continue' in StarAlignment, section 'Output Images'?

You can also set the number of console lines in EDIT/Global Preferences/Miscellaneous Process Settings in order to find the frames that could not be registered.

Bernd

Well, ask-user maybe is a better than failure and rerun, but when it is going to run for 3-4 hours still painful.

So I'm not missing a summary screen somewhere. :(

That was my real question.

Thank you.

I find (in windows at least) that if I copy the _r files into the same folder as the _a files and sort on filename they end up in pairs, except where alignment fails, so the failures are easy to spot.

Thanks, that would probably work easier than a powershell script.

Though if someone at Pixinsight is bored and looking for an easy win some day, how about a recap dump of failed file specs at the end. :unsure:

While you are at it, print out hints like "fix your darn tracking" or "learn to focus". o_O

The log command is what you are looking for. On Process Console, enter the 'help log' command (without quotes). This is a copy of the output:

Code:
help log
The log command manages console log files.
Usage: log [<arg_list>]

-f=<file_path> | --file=<file_path>

Specifies a console log file. <file_path> is a full path specification to
      a local file where all console output will be written after executing this
      command. If the file does not exist, a new file will be created at the
      specified path. If the file already exists, its contents will either be
      truncated or preserved, depending on the specified (or implicit) state of
      the -a argument (see below).

-a | --append

This argument is only used along with -f to control the log file open mode.
      When specified, this argument selects the append log open mode: If the log
      file already exists, its contents will be preserved and newly generated
      console output will be written after the existing file data.
      (default=enabled)

-t | --truncate

This argument is the inverse to -a: If the log file exists, it will be
      truncated to zero length and its previous contents will be lost.
      (default=disabled)

-q | --query

Prints information about the current console log file (this also happens
      when no arguments are specified).

--enable

Enables console output log. If no log file is currently open, this argument
      is ignored. Console output log is automatically enabled when a log file is
      open with the -f argument.

--disable

Disables console output log. This argument is the inverse of --enable.

--close

Flushes and closes the current console log file. This effectively cancels
      console logging until a log file is open again with the -f argument.

--flush

Flushes the current console log file: Writes all pending console output to
      the log file, without closing it.

--help

Displays this help and exits.

So for example, you can enter a command like:

log -f=/tmp/log.txt

or if you are using Windows, something like this:

log -f=C:/Users/foo/log.txt

(assuming that you are running as a 'foo' user) and all console output will be written to the specified 'log.txt' file. When you want to stop console logging, enter the following command:

log --close

Back