When is it appropriate to use a flatfield with Mure Denoise?

RyanHa

I see in the Mure Denoise settings there is a section where you can specify a flatfield. When would it be appropriate to supply a flatfield image for Mure?

I did a test with and without a supplied flat and could not see any difference in the output, but I assume that is because it is situational?

Any advice on this?

--Ryan

From the documentation for MureDenoise:
Flatfield compensation is useful for telescopes with more than ~10% optical vignetting. For telescopes with less vignetting, flatfield compensation results in negligible output quality improvement.

Thank you for the response! tbh I didn't know there was a manual! I have the Mastering PixInsight book and read the reference but didn't see anything about it. I also looked here (link) but didn't see it. And the tooltip for the flatfield selection box didn't have this :)

Where can I find the documentation?

--Ryan

every process has a little dog-eared document in the bottom bar, and some scripts too. that is a shortcut to the documentation browser page for that process/script. you'll see it open from a tab on the left. unfortunately a lot of processes don't have documentation but @mschuster has carefully documented MUREDenoise.

rob

I did not know that icon was the link to documentation, thanks for pointing that out!

That is indeed excellent documentation for Mure Denoise. I am going to read it in detail.

I recently started using Mure denoise and once I learned how to get the basic settings right it is really remarkable what it does.

Thanks again!

--Ryan

Back