What is Gaia DR3/SP?

dcarlson

What is the Gaia DR3/SP database?

The only description of it that I have found is in the 'Data release' tooltip in the Gaia process:

"The DR3/SP variant includes BP/RP sampled mean spectrum data for a subset of Gaia DR3 stars."

Where in PixInsight might I want to use DR3/SP instead of DR3?

Thanks,

Dan Carlson

Gaia DR3/SP XPSD databases include Gaia DR3 BP/RP mean spectrum data:

These first DR3/SP database files form a preliminary version that only includes spectrum data for about 34 million stars. Spectra are sampled from 336 to 1020 nm at 2 nm steps (343 samples) for each star. Currently we are working on the generation of XPSD databases for the entire set of about 220 million stars with BP/RP spectrum data in the Gaia DR3 catalog. This complete version of the DR3/SP XPSD database will occupy about 70 GB.

Gaia DR3/SP databases will be used by a new color calibration tool on which we are working right now. We expect to release a first version of this tool by the first half of September. This new tool will be an exciting first application of Gaia spectral data in PixInsight.

For now the DR3/SP database files can only be used with the Gaia process to perform search operations and generate output data in CSV and tabular plain text formats.

@Juan Conejero
Assuming this update is still on the horizon, I imagine a lot of people will want to try it out. 70GB is going to put some serious strain on your distribution. Is there any issue if we created a BitTorrent for just the catalog files?

Thank you for the offer, but we have our own CDN service to distribute these database files. We have no problem at all to distribute them from our corporate server.

On the other hand, the only valid source for any files we distribute officially is our corporate server.

Last edited:
Let me add that this is the only right way to do it. Centralizing the distribution guarantees the integrity of the files and that they are always up to date in case any update is generated. It is really necessary that we maintain a single source of truth.

i won’t immagine the chaos created by corrupted or obsolete files available through torrents… it will be a disaster! (Including the amount of fake database files of course)

I am trying to set up the Gaia databases, e.g., Gaia DR3, on my computer so that I can use them with the Gaia process module. The Gaia process module, however, only gives two options in then Data Release pull-down: Gaia DR2 and Gaia EDR3, which I understand are no longer available. I have run PI's Check for Updates and its telling me that my PI is up-to-date. So, how can I go about getting an update for the Gaia process module that will allow me to use the currently available Gaia databases. I am relatively new to using PI and would much appreciate some assistance in resolving this issue. Let me know if you require additional information and I will be happy to supply it. Thanks in advance.

I am trying to set up the Gaia databases, e.g., Gaia DR3, on my computer so that I can use them with the Gaia process module. The Gaia process module, however, only gives two options in then Data Release pull-down: Gaia DR2 and Gaia EDR3, which I understand are no longer available. I have run PI's Check for Updates and its telling me that my PI is up-to-date. So, how can I go about getting an update for the Gaia process module that will allow me to use the currently available Gaia databases. I am relatively new to using PI and would much appreciate some assistance in resolving this issue. Let me know if you require additional information and I will be happy to supply it. Thanks in advance.

what version of PI are you running? core program updates need to be downloaded from the distribution server, so you might not be on the latest version of PI.

rob

Make sure that your repositories point to v1.8.9-1 and run the updates.
It looks like your repository still points to v1.8.9
1673229542354.png

Cheers
Tom

based on that you do need to download the latest installer to update the core application.

it's not a problem with the updates, it's that your core application is at 1.8.8

rob

Back