WBPP Script fails after Recent Mac OS security Update

Kin

I installed 12.5.1 update on iMac with M1 chip and WBPP script will not execute. I reloaded Pixinsight (Ripley 1.8.9-1 /2022-05-18) and the problem persists.

Here is the PI error message:

Processing script file: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js

*** Error: Parsing script signature file: Parsing Signature element (line=8 offset=3): Missing code signature data: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.xsgn

Any thoughts?

Kin Searcy

hmm, i just applied the 12.5.1 update to my m1 max macbook and didn't have this problem.

if you reinstalled PI, did you then check for updates? because there was at least one update to WBPP since 1.8.9-1 was released.

one thing you can try is to quit PI and then rename /Applications/PixInsight/updates.xri to say, updates.xri.bak, then start PI. this will cause PI to think it needs to download and apply all the updates again. unfortunately you'll have to take all the updates if you want the "new" updates.xri to reflect the fact that you are up-to-date.

if you are confident with a text editor and xml files, you can just delete the section of updates.xri that references WBPP, and then only WBPP would be updated again when you start PI. but make sure to back up updates.xri first before editing it, in case you mess up.

rob

Yes, I did run the updates and I would expect that the standard PI update process would give the latest WBPP release. I understand there are issues with the new signature process in PI from developers. Running an update successfully for the additional repositories requires accepting downloads without signatures (!) but the modules run anyway on PI. The exception is WBPP. This is curious since I thought that i was PI supplied and not a add on vendor product.

I could do without the EZ Processing Suite, but not Russ Croman's tools, certainly not WBPP.

WBPP runs fine on a Mac Book Pro, I-7 chip, version Ripley 1.8.9. I will never update this machine.

I renamed the update file with .bak as you recommended to force a new backup. Then opened PI that wanted to install updates, including the WBPP update that I saw in the file. But instead of accepting the updates, I tied running the WBPP script immediately and it still gave the error.

Processing script file: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js

*** Error: Parsing script signature file: Parsing Signature element (line=8 offset=3): Missing code signature data: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.xsgn

Last edited:
I found the answer on a post by robyx on a similar issue. The recommendation was to check the Manage Repositories section to see if the correct core repositories were indicated as follows:

i checked my PI section and these URLs were all 1.8.9-0 (or something as I edited all of them.) With the above links, PI updated quickly and WBPP works.

interesting ok, yeah i had heard of that problem but didn’t remember. at any rate not accepting the update wouldn’t fix anything - what i was getting as was to have PI re-download all the wbpp files. which is what you did in the end.

There has to be a program failure in that the repository URLs should have been managed without intervention.

Kin's solution worked perfectly for me. I have a M1 Macbook Pro and I was getting exactly the same error. The URL's for the repositories where all 1.8.9-0 like for him. After editing the URL's, check for updates reported 24 items needing updates. Dowloaded all of them and it worked like magic.
Thanks Kin.

Hi, I'm getting a slightly different error - and my repositories are all looking correct:

run --execute-mode=auto "/Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js"

*** Error: *** Error: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing-engine.js, line 69: include file not found: ../AdP/CommonUIControls.js

run --execute-mode=auto "/Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js"

*** Error: *** Error: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing-engine.js, line 69: include file not found: ../AdP/CommonUIControls.js

Looks like a file might be missing. Any ideas how to remedy this?

It looks like CommonUIControls.js file has been moved/deleted/corrupted - and if this file has been affected, others may have been as well. I would be inclined to try pfile's suggestion in post #2 above to force all updates to be downloaded again.

Back