WBPP+NSG & Drizzle?

FivebyEagle

Hello all!

I am fairly new to this software, using only about 5-6 months but have a fairly good handle on it. I am coming from using APP for integration and then would bring into Pi for processing and finishing. Now, I am trying to integrate in Pi and get out of the APP ecosystem entirely. WBPP has made that transition a breeze and whenever something goes wrong, Its clear and efficient how to fix it and what I did wrong. As someone with a software background, this makes me happy.

Adding in the new NSG script is a game changer for me. I demo'd it on my last 3 projects last night (re-integrating from scratch) and the results are un-questionable... NSG gives me a 100x better starting point for my images, so I can focus on being creative versus fixing gradients and backgrounds.

However.. for the life of me I can not figure out how to Drizzle with this workflow. I am sure I am just missing a step, but can someone help me out with the steps to correctly register + ngc + integrate + drizzle? I have tried every combination of tutorial I can find, and I just keep missing the mark.

Thank you for anyone who helps me out!

so just to be clear, you've loaded pre-calibrated, pre-registered NSG'd subs into WBPP and run WBPP that way?

is the problem that ImageIntegration won't; recognize the .xdrz files output by SA when you load the NSG'd subexposures?

if that's the case, you might have to re-register the NSG files (which will amount to a no-op, hopefully, and not actually another sub-pixel registration) in order to create new .xdrz files, then run ImageIntegration with those new .xdrz files plus the NSG'd subs.

rob

so just to be clear, you've loaded pre-calibrated, pre-registered NSG'd subs into WBPP and run WBPP that way?

is the problem that ImageIntegration won't; recognize the .xdrz files output by SA when you load the NSG'd subexposures?

if that's the case, you might have to re-register the NSG files (which will amount to a no-op, hopefully, and not actually another sub-pixel registration) in order to create new .xdrz files, then run ImageIntegration with those new .xdrz files plus the NSG'd subs.

rob

Hello! I am using WBPP and importing the raw FITS files straight off the ASIAIR, and I leave everything at default except for "Image Intergration" I leave that unchecked now when I use NGS. I then find the registered files, add them to NGS, and I click "image Integration" there.

When NGS is done, the Image Integration window opens automatically, and I hit run and a get a finished integrated image. And 10/10 times it looks beautiful.

So are you saying to skip the last step of integration, go back to WBPP with the NGS'd registered subs and integrate them and create drizzle files there? Then I would DrizzleIntegration the "Integration" with the new files?

However.. for the life of me I can not figure out how to Drizzle with this workflow. I am sure I am just missing a step, but can someone help me out with the steps to correctly register + ngc + integrate + drizzle? I have tried every combination of tutorial I can find, and I just keep missing the mark.
NSG is not yet compatible with drizzle. At some point I intend to port NSG to C++. It should then be possible to update it to be compatible with drizzle.
I have not yet tried drizzle because my data is not under sampled. It is my understanding that drizzle is particularly useful if under sampling makes the stars look square. This is not the case with my datasets.
Regards, John Murphy

dang.. I am fairly undersampled and have blocky stars to tend with.

Is there any other tool in Pi that does what NSG does while I wait for it to be ported? Drizzle is a fairly big part of my normal workflow.

I will have a look at how drizzle works. I will then be able to determine if there is a way to use the current NSG with drizzle.

yeah - i guess my idea won't work (re-registering) because of course then there's no dither and thus drizzle can't really work.

rob

NSG should work exactly like LocalNormalization works, i.e. by generating .xnml files which would integrate with ImageIntegration and DrizzleIntegration (and future processes) smoothly. Our C++ development framework provides all of the necessary tools to implement this very easily. I can help here if you want to port your NSG to C++. A photometry-based normalization tool has been in the list of our priority tasks for a long time and now that you have implemented it we are very interested.

NSG should work exactly like LocalNormalization works, i.e. by generating .xnml files which would integrate with ImageIntegration and DrizzleIntegration (and future processes) smoothly. Our C++ development framework provides all of the necessary tools to implement this very easily. I can help here if you want to port your NSG to C++. A photometry-based normalization tool has been in the list of our priority tasks for a long time and now that you have implemented it we are very interested.
Yes, that is my plan. I am currently refreshing my C++ knowledge for this very purpose!

Yes, that is my plan. I am currently refreshing my C++ knowledge for this very purpose!
I was hoping to hear this - I drizzle 90% of my images and love the new normalization script but had to decide between that and drizzling for smoother sampling. Thanks for putting this in the plan.

Back