WBPP - no need for sub removals/sub frame selector?

I use WBPP to preprocess my images. But as I learn more about PI, I've been using the Sub Frame Selector which is fantastic. I eliminate bad subs by sorting by eccentricity. But as I start looking more into SubFrameSelector and weighting formulas, I wondered if I was doing work that is already done when I use WBPP. Hence the name "weighted."

So should I continue to eliminate "bad" subs with the SubFrameSelector before I use WBPP, or is that handled with WBPP if I enable subframe weighting?

I know, it was a duh moment!

Hi @fuadramsey,

WBPP does not eliminate any frame, it applies the following weighting formula:

svg.image

so each metric (FWHM, eccentricity, SNRWeight and number of Stars) gets normalized first then a weighted combination of the normalized metrics plus a pedestal produces the image weight. A, B, C, D are the values you can set in WBPP using the sliders in the weight control panel, plus the pedestal P.

There is no rejection at all, all frames receive a weight. The pedestal role is to determine the aggressiveness of the weights, so the lower the pedestal the higher the difference that could exist between the highest and lowest weights in the group.

Robyx

Reactions: dld
Back