WBPP failure

whwang

Hi,

Recently I had encountered several similar failures in WBPP. When it was first released, I did successfully run it once or twice, and then it never worked again. My PI is of the latest version and I had installed all the updates. So it shouldn't be a version issue. The same batch of images ran well in BPP, but just can't go through WBPP.

The error message I got is shown in the attached image. I don't know what it means. I also attach a screenshot for the control panel. Again, similar setup once worked with WBPP, and worked perfectly well in BPP.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 11.16.04 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 11.12.00 AM.jpg

Hi @whwang,

that's a very uncommon and unexpected error. Would you mind to share the full log file you can find under the folder "logs" in the out directory?
This issue requires a deeper investigation...

Robyx

I would not have used quite these settings (since you dark exposures exactly matches your lights you do not need dark optimisation, and it is best not to select it if it is not needed), but...
... that is not what is causing this error report. It is strange because the user input to WBPP is in the form of files, while this error refers to a view identifier. I think all the (temporary) views used in WBPP have auto-generated ids, so this is not expected.
It would be interesting to see what, if any, error is displayed in the PI process console associated with this error - but the full log will be even better.

Thanks. The process console looks normal. I will share the log file with you next week. Right now we have a power outage in our office and all my computers were shut down in advance. I will get the log after the power is back.

I always turn on dark optimization when I use BPP. Although the exposure times match, the temperature can be off by a degree C (or two at most). I believed that dark optimization can reduce the temperature mismatch.

It looks as though the crash is happening when the master dark is being written to disk.
The file name is "masterDark_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-300.01s.xisf".
There seems to be some problem with the view id of the master dark integration.

So, does anyone know if I can avoid this error from my side? Or I will have to wait for a bug fix?

Also, an unrelated question: Are master flats generated by BPP and WBPP interchangeable? In other words, can I use BPP master flats in WBPP?

Hi @whwang,
I'm back from vacation, sorry for the delay. What about sharing the session files? would you mind doing it? this would help to reproduce the issue on my workstation in order to fix it.

regarding interchangeability, yes you can this way:
  • generate with WBPP, use with BPP: in BPP you manually select to use master flat files, so add the masterFlat generated from WBPP and check the checkbox "Use master flat" in BPP
  • generate with BPP, use with WBPP: BPP (as WBPP) writes "Master Flat" as value for the keyword IMAGETYP in the fits header, this makes the file to be recognized as a master file by WBPP, so just add it to the WBPP session and it will work as a master

Robyx

Hi Robyx,

Thank you. I think I had identified where the problem arises. I checked "Generate rejection maps" but did not ask any of the bias, dark, flat stacking to reject pixels. This caused the problem. Once I uncheck the "Generate rejection maps" option, the problem is gone.

I think it will be nice to automatically disable "Generate rejection maps" when no rejections are selected.

Back