WBPP Error

pmeesters

While using WBPP an error popped up and the script was aborted. See attached images

WBPP_Error_2.jpg

WBPP_Error_1.jpg

Hi @pmeesters ,
could you upload the last log file? You could find it in the logs subfolder.
Weird error considering that your configuration looks ok, I will look into it.

robyx

Sorry, the content got overwritten when I replaced all the calibration files with new ones (freshly made) and ran the script again.
The second time it went through ok, but skipped one light frame out of 91 in the star alignment step.
I may be able to reproduce the error and save the log.

The log file in never overwritten, the name contain the time stamp which makes it unique. Unless you manually deleted the destination folder it should still be there.

Hi Robyx,

I was able to recreate the error, and also found out the reason it reported an error:
Integrating 0 light frames, 91 light frames are ignored because their measurement failed

Maybe a better to understand error handling in the script could prevent the assumption the script was having an issue, when obviously it's my data that is the cause :)
When I rerun the script with exactly the same files, but choose 'Optimize Dark', then the process finishes succesfully.

I have inlcuded the log file as an attachment :)

Best regards,
Paul

Attachments

• 20210331193822.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi Robyx,

I was able to recreate the error, and also found out the reason it reported an error:
Integrating 0 light frames, 91 light frames are ignored because their measurement failed

Maybe a better to understand error handling in the script could prevent the assumption the script was having an issue, when obviously it's my data that is the cause :)
When I rerun the script with exactly the same files, but choose 'Optimize Dark', then the process finishes succesfully.

I have inlcuded the log file as an attachment :)

Best regards,
Paul
Well here I'm guessing that you have a CMOS OSC camera. The fact that no stars are found after calibration very ofter is due to an overcorrection of the light frames, if after optimization measurements do not fail it probably means that the dark was scaled down avoiding any overcorrection, but be careful that this does not mean that the result is "correct" in terms of proper data calibration.

An interesting test would be to check wether the offsets between darks and light frames is really the same, by comparing the FITS header's OFFSET values and doing some measurements on images that could provide some hints.

First of all, the average value of the master dark must be higher than the average of the master bias, secondly, ensure that the master dark's mean value is lower than the mean value of a region taken in a light frame that contains only the sky background. If you find one of these two conditions not to be satisfied then there is probably a mismatch between camera's gain and/or offset used to take bias/dark/light frames. Usually it happens if you use different software or different camera drivers to acquire your images.

Let me know if you can do these checks :)

Robyx

I got the same error under these conditions: I shot light frames at night when the outdoor temp was around 32 degrees F, and my camera was set to cool to 0 degrees C. The following morning, I created my calibration files with the camera cooled to 0 degrees C, using the same gain as the light frames. You would think the camera conditions would be the same, right? NOPE. Using the NoiseEvaluation script, the noise levels in the calibration frames were much higher than my light frames, causing an overcorrection. (Big lesson learned here!) The first solution was to recreate my calibration frames with my camera gain to 0, resulting in calibration frames with very low noise levels. Another solution is to set the PI workspace pointer to IntegerRange to see the DN (Data Number) read by the pixels of my camera's 16-bit ADC sensor (i.e. in the range of 0 to 65,535, what level did the pixels register?). Search for a rough estimate of the lowest DN in one of the light frames and the highest DN in a Dark frame. If the DN in the light frame is lower than the DN in the dark frame, you have overcorrection. Subtract your estimate of the lowest Light DN from the highest Dark DN to compute a Pedistal Value (defined as "the quantity added to the result of an image calibration to ensure positive pixel values") and enter that value in the Output pedestal (DN) field on the WBPP Calibration tab. You will see that field in the Calibration tab when you click on the row summarizing your light frames. Note: The calculated Pedestal value may be a little high, but this will help prevent data loss, as explained by Adam Block in his video "Part 16:WBPP 2.1 PixInsight: Output Pedestal for Narrowband Imagery".

Back