WBPP crashes

Ian1975

I have a new pc, in fact tried 2 different pcs both new. And similar spec.
Current one is Lenovo i5 2.9ghz 6 core 8gb ram
every time I run WBPP it freezes the whole pc, got it work once and didnt produce any master files.
I was using a i3 dual core before albeit slow it did work with no issues.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.
Any help or suggestions would be hugely grateful.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Hi @Ian1975,

I can guess that the freezing condition is most willing due to the resource exhaustion while WBPP runs. Most probably, the new change that could make a difference with respect to the previous version of WBPP is the usage of the Subframe Selector process, this tremendously increases the time spent con measuring the images at the cost of using more resources (way more!) than before.

Your CPU has 6 cores (hot hyperthreaded as far as I've searched) so Subframe Selector runs 6 measurements in parallel, you should try to reduce the number of CPU used by PixInsight(in the settings panel) before running WBPP, maybe down to 4. This reduces the number of parallel measurements and the occupied RAM memory while processing.

Try this way and tell if it works :)

(the very best way would be to double the RAM up to 16Gb of course ;))

You can find it under Edit -> Global Preferences -> Parallel Processing and Threads, you have the option Maximum number of processors used (by default set to auto). You can override with your desired value.

In PI global preferences, here:
1624020274483.png

Don't forget to select "apply global" (blue circle) after any changes - or they won't be applied.

Tried that exactly the same just freezes up cant get ez script to work either. Makes no sense 2 new pcs wont work on either.

When the system
just freezes up
Can you run "Task Manager" and check:
  • is it CPU or disk limiting (i.e. ~ 100%)
  • is it PixInsight causing the load
If it is simply CPU or disk limited, but still running, then it would look like a system resource limitation.
If it is not running with PI at maximum, then you need to look if something else is causing a problem.

Only happena when running wbpp and it just freezes the whole pc cant check task manager cursor wont even move. Sorted ez script forgot to load starnet files.

You can usually run task manager - even if the machine is otherwise "frozen" - by keying Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting "Task Manager".

That is really wierd. Ctrl-Alt-Del is a BIOS-level function, and can only usually be blocked by hardware errors. Is there anything unusual about your configuration? What type of device are your files on (are they on your main disk, or some other device)?

All on c: had the same issue yesterday with a different pc yet my older pc works fine.
Totally locked again. Cpu maxed out loaded task manager first.

Last edited:
you might try Prime95 or memtest86+ to see if there is something wrong with the hardware of your new PC? PI does put quite a strain on any machine and can expose problems like this.

rob

It works fine on my old pc which is supposedly no where near the spec of the new one.

Last edited:
Cpu maxed out
So you have adjusted global preferences to limit the number of processors (BTW - to what value?) but WBPP is using100% CPU in Task Manager?
Could you post a screenshot of the "control panel" tab of WBPP just before you select "Run".

If you have problems with WBPP, the first thing to do is post a screenshot of the "control panel" tab. We can then see exactly what you have asked WBPP to do, which is a good starting point if it is not doing what you expected it to do.

Back