WBPP Challenge ...

JayHov

I have been using WBPP for some time now ... and with great success. It just does its thing, and I've been a very happy camper since I started using it.

Presently, I have shot two nights of M94. The first night's Master Light is fine. Today I loaded up all of my frames from last night, but decided to manually designate a Reference Light Frame. A few "things" happened during the process: 1] WBPP paused looking to Plate Solve the Reference Image (I assume), and though I can successfully Plate Solve an image otherwise, I was not able to here (even though I designated "M94" as the gist of the image) ... so I canceled that portion of the process and WBPP seemed to go forward without issue until 2] I inspected the resultant Master Light. It is below:

masterLight_BIN_1_3008x3008_EXPOSURE_60_00s_FILTER_NoFilter_RGB_autocrop_integration_autocrop_...jpg

At that point, I figured this result was related to manually designating a Reference Image, so I cleared out WBPP, inserted all of my frames and re-ran it allowing it to choose the Reference Image automatically (as I have always done previously). Unfortunately, I received the same result.

At this point, I'm not sure what else (if anything) might have also changed in playing around with the Reference Image selection feature. Any help would be appreciated, but please know that all of my sub frames are good (even per WBPP standards). In other words, no light frames were rejected.

Thank you,

Jay

Hello Jay,

It's pretty hard to figure out what's going on without more information but, from what you told us, I suspect it has nothing to do with your manual reference frame designation.

In your masterlight image the number of hot pixels seems to indicate a problem in your calibration.
If there are indeed a lot of hot pixels left in your debayered files (last step before registration), this would explain the failure of the plate solve of the reference frame (whether chosen by you or by WBPP) and every subsequent problems.

Did you apply cosmetic correction to your lights?
Have you visually inspected your calibrated, cosmetized and debayered files?
Properly calibrated and cosmetized frames should not display any hot pixels. Is that the case?

In any case it would be helpful if you could provide a sample of your files(maybe 5 of each kind) via dropbox or a similar cloud service.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, Nico,

We can do the Dropbox thing, if necessary; however, I did inspect the calibrated frames. They are junk, which is perplexing as a] I've done nothing differently in acquisition and b] all of the Light, Flat, Dark Flat and Dark subs appear normal. I am not sure about CC. The setting just says, "Apply To All Light Frames" (or something like that).

Just in case something had changed, I did reset WBPP to the "factory settings" and ran it again. I canceled/aborted when it paused at Plate Solving.

This truly is perplexing ....

Jay

Thanks for replying, Nico,

We can do the Dropbox thing, if necessary; however, I did inspect the calibrated frames. They are junk, which is perplexing as a] I've done nothing differently in acquisition and b] all of the Light, Flat, Dark Flat and Dark subs appear normal. I am not sure about CC. The setting just says, "Apply To All Light Frames" (or something like that).

Just in case something had changed, I did reset WBPP to the "factory settings" and ran it again. I canceled/aborted when it paused at Plate Solving.

This truly is perplexing ....

Jay

I really think your files would be helpful.

To apply CC in WBPP you must first set up a process icon of the cosmetic correction process with the correct settings.
I have myself a 533MC camera and I generally use the following:

CC.jpg

In WBPP you can then select the process icon when you select your lights in the calibration tab.

Hello again, Nico (and anyone else reading this post). Wondering if the problem was indeed WBPP, I ran all of the same data in DSS, which - essentially - would not process the Light Frames. It looks like I have some other problem altogether .... Thank you, Jay

Back