WBPP allocation size overflow issue on Mac (Sonoma 14.2.1)

carbon12

Hello
I have updated PI to PixInsight Core 1.8.9-2 Ripley (x64) (build 1605 | 2024-03-23) using the installer after deleting the previous Pixinsight folder in Applications.
I have about 1TB of free system storage.
Now I get the following error when starting WBPP:

PixInsight Core 1.8.9-2 Ripley (x64) (build 1605 | 2024-03-23)
Copyright (c) 2003-2024 Pleiades Astrophoto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to PixInsight. Started 2024-03-26T22:32:04.913Z

* Parallel processing enabled: Using 10 logical processors.

* Maximum number of simultaneous open files: 12544.

* WebView: GPU acceleration enabled.

run --execute-mode=auto "/Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js"

Processing script file: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing.js

* Code signature verified:

script-id : WeightedBatchPreprocessing

developer-id : PTeam

timestamp : 2024-03-23T09:26:46.705Z

* Parsed cache data in 592.519 ms

* Migrating data from WBPP v2.5.9 to v2.6.2

*** Error [006]: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/WeightedBatchPreprocessing/WeightedBatchPreprocessing-engine.js, line 2986: InternalError: allocation size overflow

I have found threads in the forums discussing similar issue on Windows machines and the advice was often referring to cache
I found the following cache files on my MacBook in ~/Library/PixInsight/ and notice the .plist file looks quite big.
1711495779601.png

I have tried repeating the installation of 1.8.9-2 Ripley (x64) build 1605 by deleting the first installation of it, downloading and running a new Installer but the overflow problem was still there. Also , rebooting the laptop, leaving PI open to run unused for several hours.
I am hesitant to blindly try advice on modifying/deleting files for Windows machines on my Mac system so any Mac-centric advice on what I can do to try to resolve the overflow issue would be very welcome.

Not suggesting to delete any files (Win-User), but can you rename the Pixinsight.plist?
The file is unusual big, so maybe you have conflicting data inside there.

Your core-001-pxi.settings is also pretty big, can't imagine that MAC that the file must be so much bigger than under Windows

Cheers
Tom

Not suggesting to delete any files (Win-User), but can you rename the Pixinsight.plist?
The file is unusual big, so maybe you have conflicting data inside there.

Your core-001-pxi.settings is also pretty big, can't imagine that MAC that the file must be so much bigger than under Windows

Cheers
Tom
The existence of a .plist file with a recent date on it suggests that this was an update from -1 to -2. And while that process is supposed to translate the .plist file to the .settings file, we've certainly seen it fail before and create a corrupt settings file. In which case the solution might be to delete both the .settings and the .plist file (or rename them), then uninstall and reinstall PI. That will force it to build a clean default settings file.

Thank you both very much for your fast and clear replies.
That fixed it.
For anyone else facing this issue on Mac, here's the steps I did:
In Pixinsight, I went to Resources>Updates>Manage Resources and I copied the URLs for various add on tool scripts plugins (BXT NXT etc) to a Note , to aid re-installation afterwards as these will be lost from PI after replacing the .plist and .settings files.
In Finder I located the .settings and .plist list using Finder>Go > Go to Folder searched with ~/Library/PixInsight/
Renamed the .settings and .plist files, copied them to a new folder (just as precaution) and deleted them in the original location.
Deleted the Pixinsight application folder from the Applications directory
Ran the Pixinsight installer -Build 1605 at this time
Launched PI and made the prompted Update
Launched WBPP - worked fine, the Purge Cache button now shows cache size as 0.03 KiB. Closed WBPP.
Checked ~/Library/PixInsight/ to see the new .settings and .plist files were there.
Tool add on packages (BXT, NXT etc) were missing from the menus of course so I reinstalled those: Resources>Updates>Manage Resources >Add
Restarted PI.
Checked WBPP working fine & BXT etc listed in the menus.
Done.

Back