WBPP 2.4.5

wboeck

I recently updated Pixinsight. It included a newer version 2.4.5 of WBPP. I have tried to process several photos of M51 and the Fireworks Galaxy. I am getting strange results and cannot figure out what is happening. When the script is running, I get a lot of warnings about the metadata does not include noise data so it needs to use the raw data. The final master light image has a white background with spots. I did not have this issue with earlier versions of the WBPP. I am sure that I have something set up incorrectIy. I have attached screenshots showing the results and settings.

thanks,
pixinsight WBPP 2_4_5.JPG
Wayne

Attachments

• WBPP Bias.JPG
    WBPP Bias.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 43
  • WBPP Darks.JPG
    WBPP Darks.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 45
  • WBPP Flats.JPG
    WBPP Flats.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 49
  • WBPP Lights.JPG
    WBPP Lights.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 43
  • WBPP Lights Image Integration.JPG
    WBPP Lights Image Integration.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 46
  • WBPP Lights Local Normalization.JPG
    WBPP Lights Local Normalization.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 40
  • WBPP Lights Image Registration.JPG
    WBPP Lights Image Registration.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 53
  • WBPP Calibration.JPG
    WBPP Calibration.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 38
  • WBPP Post-Calibration.JPG
    WBPP Post-Calibration.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 46
this looks like darks not matching the lights in some way. if this is a cmos camera it's important that all these things are true:

• the gain and offset of the lights match the darks and bias
  • lights, darks and bias were all taken with the same kind of driver (ascom vs. integrated) and with the same capture software
  • the version of the capture software is the same between lights, darks and bias
  • the duration of the darks matches the duration of the lights, if your camera exhibits amp glow.
these things should also be true of the flats and the flat darks.

rob

I noticed that the BIAS offset frames were different than the rest so I just took a new set. The offset was the same for the darks, flats and lights. All of the frames were taken with the same version of SGP along with the same ASCOM drivers. I ran WBPP and ended up with the same results as before. I attached the fits header for the BIAS, Flats, Darks and Lights.

Attachments

• NGC 6946 Bias Fits Header.JPG
    NGC 6946 Bias Fits Header.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 39
  • NGC 6946 Flats Fits Header.JPG
    NGC 6946 Flats Fits Header.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 39
  • NGC 6946 Darks Fits Header.JPG
    NGC 6946 Darks Fits Header.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 41
  • NGC 6946 Lights Fits Header.JPG
    NGC 6946 Lights Fits Header.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 42
can you upload one bias, one dark and one light to a file hoster like google drive and post the link here?

One more point to be noticed, since by looking at the master light result, the background looks completely cut off:

- ensure that the median value of the master dark is lower than the median value of a light frame, if not then, disregarding the FITS hedaer data, it means that there was light infiltration or something different was set in the camera configuration (like the pedestal value in the drivers settings which is not reported in the FITS header)
- ensure you set a proper value of the output pedestal
- VERY important, the camera model cannot be seen (it's reported as a generic ASI), with some CMOS cameras (like the 294) you should never shoot too short frames (under 1 second or similar, depending on the model) since the electronic switches working mode and so the data is uncorrelated with longer frames. In that case, keep your flats above a couple of seconds.

can you set the link to "public"? it wants me to sign in to download the files.

thanks

rob

One more point to be noticed, since by looking at the master light result, the background looks completely cut off:

- ensure that the median value of the master dark is lower than the median value of a light frame, if not then, disregarding the FITS hedaer data, it means that there was light infiltration or something different was set in the camera configuration (like the pedestal value in the drivers settings which is not reported in the FITS header)
- ensure you set a proper value of the output pedestal
- VERY important, the camera model cannot be seen (it's reported as a generic ASI), with some CMOS cameras (like the 294) you should never shoot too short frames (under 1 second or similar, depending on the model) since the electronic switches working mode and so the data is uncorrelated with longer frames. In that case, keep your flats above a couple of seconds.

I changed the Pedestal Output to automatic instead of 0 and it works better. I will look at the flats and adjust those as well. I recently changed the camera gain in SGP and this was the first time processing so that must have caused the problem.

Thanks

Back