WBPP 2.3.0 Released

robyx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I am glad to announce a new version of the Weighted Batch Pre Processing WBPP script 2.3.0. This update is distributed with the new PixInsight core application 1.8.8-10 and makes available the new image weighting methods PSF Signal, PSF Power and improved SNR Waight along with other important features and bug fixes.

New Image Weighting Option
The Subframe Weighting section under the Light tab is now used to set the desired image weighting strategy. The options are PSF Signal, PSF Power, SNR Weight and the Weighting Formula.

00_WeightingMethods.png

Weighting formula extension
The weighting formula now includes the PSF Signal and PSF Power measurement as a weighting factor.

01_WeightingFormula.png

File Overwriting is now avoided
WBPP now sets the "Overwrite existing files" option to false for each executed process. This solves the issue that raises when files with the same name but stored in different folders are added to the same calibration or integration group, resulting in a calibration error message or in one file overwriting the other during registration.

Original files are newer overwritten
In some cases, WBPP 2.2.0 and below could overwrite the original files. Now, if WBPP needs to update any file that contains the original data (to be precise, a file that has not yet been processed during the current WBPP execution) a new copy will be stored under a folder called measured, adopting the same subfolder and file name of the original files.

Console Measurements output updated
Image measurements performed by Subframe Selection reported on the console now includes the PSF Signal and PSF Power values.

02_ConsoleMeasurements.png

Diagnostics Readability improved
The diagnostic report readability has been improved by colonizing notes, warnings and errors with the standard colours used in the console.

03_Diagnostics.png

Bugfixes
  • CFA property in post-process groups is now refreshed when CFA property is updated in the calibration panel.

Enjoy this new upgrade!
Roberto

Is there a way to get the file overwriting behavior back? Each run creates another set of calibrated files, etc.

Is there a way to get the file overwriting behavior back? Each run creates another set of calibrated files, etc.
Hi @gnewell,
A global preference "overwrite output files" makes sense, for now simply wipe out the output folder if it already contains data you don't need anymore.

Robyx

I am testing the new version of PI and WBPP. For some reason the check box for Subframe Weighting is missing? I am Runing PI v1.8.8-10 and WBPP v2.3.1. I have tried reseting to factory settings, but still not able to enable SFW. It is greyed out on the Post-process tab as well. Any suggestions?

1636926978769.png

I am testing the new version of PI and WBPP. For some reason the check box for Subframe Weighting is missing? I am Runing PI v1.8.8-10 and WBPP v2.3.1. I have tried reseting to factory settings, but still not able to enable SFW. It is greyed out on the Post-process tab as well. Any suggestions?
That checkbox is not needed anymore.

If you select as weighting method "Weighting Formula" then the image weighting is enabled automatically and you'll see it emphasized under the Post-process panel too, moreover, the "Weighting parameters..." button gets enabled and you can tune the weighting formula as you need.

If you select any other weighting method then WBPP does not weigh the images using the formula (the "Weighting parameters..." button gets disabled) while Image Integration will do it adopting the method you've selected among PSF Signal, PSF Power and SNR Estimate.

Robyx

I am running on windows 10 and cannot get WBPP to work after the update.

I can select a file (or multiple files) the first time I click +Dark, +Flat, +Light, +Files, etc. After that, it will not let me add files. I have tried every order possible with the same result.

I have seen a few others posting on the other announcement thread with the same issue.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

This bug has already been fixed. Please apply the available updates; one of them will install WBPP version 2.3.1.

That checkbox is not needed anymore.

If you select as weighting method "Weighting Formula" then the image weighting is enabled automatically and you'll see it emphasized under the Post-process panel too, moreover, the "Weighting parameters..." button gets enabled and you can tune the weighting formula as you need.

If you select any other weighting method then WBPP does not weigh the images using the formula (the "Weighting parameters..." button gets disabled) while Image Integration will do it adopting the method you've selected among PSF Signal, PSF Power and SNR Estimate.

Robyx
Sorry to hijack the thread but it is relevant. despite setting the option to other than the "Weighting option" since the the -10 update I'm seeing the message in the image " Subframe selector is not defined " at some point during the run. Is this a known issue ??

Attachments

• wbpperror.png
    wbpperror.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 65
Hi @gnewell,
A global preference "overwrite output files" makes sense, for now simply wipe out the output folder if it already contains data you don't need anymore.

Robyx

A bigger wish would be for WBPP to work like a make file in building software. Keep track of dependencies (and time stamps) and only re-process things that need to be reprocessed due to a change. e.g. adding more sub exposures would only cause calibration, registration, etc. for the new subs, and then integration of everything (for that filter).

Hope that's clear.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it is relevant. despite setting the option to other than the "Weighting option" since the the -10 update I'm seeing the message in the image " Subframe selector is not defined " at some point during the run. Is this a known issue ??

Can you see the SubframeSelector process listed in the Process Explorer window, or equivalently, under the Process main menu item?

Hello,

Is there any way to open "old" (2020) wbpp script with Bias, Darks and Flats properly set ?

I am able to run old wbpp script (by deleting MDS chekcsum) but there is nos Bias, Darks and Flats...

Thanks

Regards

Igor

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like WBPP 2.3.1 on Windows 10 is running significantly slower, especially in the image integration stage. I don't have a stopwatch analysis, unfortunately.

Dale

Hello,

Is there any way to open "old" (2020) wbpp script with Bias, Darks and Flats properly set ?

I am able to run old wbpp script (by deleting MDS chekcsum) but there is nos Bias, Darks and Flats...

Thanks

Regards

Igor
Hi @Igor,
WBPP has internal protection against old incompatible/corrupted data, if for any reason the old group data fails to load then all groups get cleared and WBPP starts without any file.
This looks like the case so, despite the version you're referring to, the logical conclusion is that that data cannot be loaded.
My suggestion is to reconfigure the current WBPP 2.3.1 with your Bias/Darks and Flats and overwrite the script icon with a new one.

I hope this helps,
Robyx

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like WBPP 2.3.1 on Windows 10 is running significantly slower, especially in the image integration stage. I don't have a stopwatch analysis, unfortunately.

Dale
Hi @dchamberlain,
have you got an idea if Image Integration runs slower just when executed by WBPP script or even if executed as an independent process?

Hi @Igor,
WBPP has internal protection against old incompatible/corrupted data, if for any reason the old group data fails to load then all groups get cleared and WBPP starts without any file.
This looks like the case so, despite the version you're referring to, the logical conclusion is that that data cannot be loaded.
My suggestion is to reconfigure the current WBPP 2.3.1 with your Bias/Darks and Flats and overwrite the script icon with a new one.

I hope this helps,
Robyx
Hi Robyx,

Thanks for your reply. It is a pity but I understand that I will not be able to load old (2020 is not so old...) WBPP scripts :-(
As advised I will indeed reconfigure the script with the current WBPP 2.3.1 with bias/darks/lights files which could be an huge work :-(

Mabe it could be a good idea for future upgrades to allow compatibility with previous releases.

Regards

Igor

I am using WBPP 2.3.0 to process two stacks of images of the same object taken with an OSC camera. The first group is a real RGB image taken with an L-Pro light pollution filter, while the other one is a RGB dual-narrow-band image taken with an L-eXtreme filter. The exposure is longer for the narrow-band stack.

WBPP correctly keeps the two stacks separated - by filter.

I was thinking to apply a different cosmetic correction for each filter. Is it possible in WBPP, without having to run the script twice, to apply individual CC separately to each filter?
I was also asking myself whether it conceptually makes sense to use an individual cosmetic correction for each filter.

Thanks for your support!

Mau

Back