** Warning: TIFF: Incompatible type for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored

I have some .cr2 flat files that I edited in photoshop (to remove a dust spot that isn't in the lights) and saved as TIFF files. They are large, 25-40mb each. When trying to calibrate them, I get this error:

1600813033449.png

How can I work around this? is there a better way to edit out troublesome spots in flat files that I dont want in the rest of the image?

The warnings only concern metadata in the TIFF files, not the image data per se. The warnings can be ignored.

However, I don't understand your workflow:

ImageCalibration should be applied on Color Filter Array (CFA) data, i.e. before debayering.

You should not try to correct anything in your frames before applying Image Calibration.

The correct workflow (assuming that Format Explorer/RAW Format Preferences is set to 'Pure Raw') for a regular digital camera using a proprietary raw format (in your case: CR2 format) is:

1) ImageCalibration
2) Debayer
3) (optional) CosmeticCorrection
4) Alignment
5) ImageIntegration

If I understand it correctly, in the flat frames you got a new dust donut that is not present in the light frames that you want to apply the flat field correction to, a case similar to thread https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-dots-in-picture-one-before-and-one-after-mf.15235 , images #1 and #2.

If my assumption is correct, I would prepare the MasterFlat as usual (calibrate the flat frames and integrate the calibrated flat frames). Then you can try to remove the new dust donut from the resulting MasterFlat and apply the modified MasterFlat in the ImageCalibration of the light frames.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd.

I am getting this error when attempting to calibrate flats with the MasterDark and MasterBias in order to create a MasterFlat.

I think the problem is that I am trying to use TIFF files after editing the original .cr2 files in Photoshop (and I guess they are debayered as well).

I will try your suggestion of completing the MasterFlat and then applying some kind of clone tool before calibrating the Light frames.

Thanks!

I can only repeat what I wrote above:
ImageCalibration should be applied on Color Filter Array (CFA) data, i.e. before debayering.

You should not try to correct anything in your frames before applying Image Calibration.
This holds for the calibration of flat frames as well.

So, please, forget editing the CR2 files (this is not possible at all; when you save the result, they will not be CR2 files any more), and forget Photoshop. The flat frames (in CFA format) shall be calibrated, then integrated in PixInsight. For the calibration of the flat frames, a MasterBias (without MasterDark!) or a MasterFlatDark shall be used.

Please see my guide for more detailed explanations.

Bernd

any idea which one corresponds to the correct pattern of RGGB?
None of them. These options specify the TIFF encoding of an RGB image (in this case a 32-bit float image - a 32-bit floating point number for each R, G or B value). RGGB refers to the to the bayer matrix layout of a raw (greyscale) image, which is stored in the original CR2 file. TIFF files do not store raw (un-debayered) data. Since you are describing CR2 files, I assume the data comes from a Canon camera.
If you do not do all of your pre-debayer calibaration processing (bias correction; dark subtraction; flat calibration) in PI you are going to have serious problems - because almost any other application (e.g. Photoshop) is going to automatically debayer your images (i.e. convert them from raw greyscale to RGB colour) before doing any further processing - and that is incompatible with the PI calibration workflow.

What would you guys suggest I do? I’m not aware of how to edit out the dust spot from the flat. Using it to calibrate the lights results in a large white spot in the integration which is only there because of the presence of the unwanted dust spot in the flag.

should I just do calibration without flats? This is the first of 3 nights of data and I don’t want to throw away 6 hrs of light.

I can see if a subsequent nights flats are better but I am not sure they will have the corrections because of a few other small dust spots.

In post #7 I described how to prepare the MasterFlat. Please follow this recommendation, upload the resulting MasterFlat, MasterDark, MasterBias or MasterFlatDark (all in XISF format) and some light frames (in CR2 format) to a file hoster and post the link here.

Bernd

Back