Vdb 14 and 15

Ginge

The reflection nebulae Van den Bergh 14 (right) and 15 (left) are located in the constellation of Camelopardalis or the Giraffe, shimmering in the light of their hot blue star companions C Cam and B Cam. Vdb 14 has a pinkish hue due to the addition of red ionised hydrogen alpha gas. The deep red structures are also hydrogen alpha emission nebulosity, a part of the large sh2-202 nebula, which continues off the bottom edge of the image. Brownish molecular dust is prevalent on the left site, also trailing off the lefte edge of the image. Taken during bone cold -20C nights, the amount of wood I’ve burned to stay warm in the forest observatory this winter will give me a major carbon footprint this year. The only way to get to the observatory now is by skis, which I love. Tomorrow I’m getting help from a dog team led by Gunnar Solberg, a cool dude I’ve met on mornings when I’m leaving the forest and he mushing his dogs out. Having an observatory in the forest may not be the the most accessible, but it sure is nice. Yesterday, as I was dropping off fire wood, I found huge moose tracks just outside the small hunter's cabin beside the observatory, where I keep warm. So cool.

Optics: Epsilon 180ed 8" f/2.8
Camera: QSI 583wsg
Mount: 10Micron
Exposure: L=107x600s, R=24x600s, G=22x600s, B=19x600s, Ha= 110x600s +Darks, Flats
Total integration time: 47h
Filter: Astrodon LRGB Gen II and Astrodon 5nm Ha
Captured with The Sky X,
Processed in Pixinsight
Shot from Bjarkebu Observatory near Ytre Enebakk/Norway on several dates between 19th of November 2020 and 15th of January 2021.

Clear skies,

Ginge

Larger version here:
50895932212_df404e23b1_h.jpg

Last edited:
wow, i don't think i've ever seen this nebula before. that is really great.

crazy story too, watch out for those moose!!

wow, i don't think i've ever seen this nebula before. that is really great.

crazy story too, watch out for those moose!!
Thanks, Rob!! It was new to me too. Don't know why, though. The area is pretty well packed with cool stuff to excavate.

g

Back