Update-Development Repository

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Since August 2011 a new software updates repository is available to all PixInsight users: update-development.

Update-development provides new tools and scripts that are being actively developed by PTeam members and other developers/users that collaborate with the PixInsight project. While these products are still in the beta test development stage, we only provide them through our update system when we are sure that they are sufficiently stable and cannot cause problems to existing PixInsight installations.

Update-development allows you to try out new tools before they become part of the official PixInsight distributions. In most cases these tools are derived from active research and development projects that represent the next steps in the evolution of the PixInsight platform. By using and testing these tools, you can become involved in their development and help us and our contributors with your experiences, opinions and bug reports.

To enable the update-development repository in your PixInsight, please follow these steps:

1. From the main menu, select Resources > Updates > Manage Repositories.

2. On the Manage Update Repositories dialog, click the Add button.

3. On the Add PixInsight Repository dialog, type the following URL:
  http://update-devel.pixinsight.com/

4. Click the OK button. Now your dialog should look like this:

manage-update-repositories-dialog.png

5. Click the OK button again on the Manage Update Repositories dialog.

6. From the main menu, select Resources > Updates > Check for Updates.

Now you should receive a number of updates, if you haven't already installed them. These updates correspond to the tools and scripts currently being distributed through our development repository.

Me aparece este mensaje:

Error al iniciar la aplicaci?n porque no se encontr? MSVCP100.dll. La reinstalaci?n de la aplicaci?n puede solucionar el problema.

?Debo volver a instalar el programa?

Sigo sin poder instalar las actualizaciones del programa, en especial me interesaba Gradients Mosaic Merge. Una ayudita.

I still can not install program updates, particularly interested me Mosaic Gradients Merge. A little help.

Error al iniciar la aplicaci?n porque no se encontr? MSVCP100.dll. La reinstalaci?n de la aplicaci?n puede solucionar el problema.

?Est?s utilizando Windows XP? El problema en este caso es que Windows XP no soporta UAC (User Access Control), que PixInsight utiliza para autenticar el programa de actualizaci?n (PixInsightUpdater.exe) en Windows Vista y Windows 7. En XP tienes que desactivar la opci?n "Proteger mi equipo..." en la ventana que sale justo antes de instalar las actualizaciones.

Hi,

Strangely I can't update for a while now, even with the given link.

I've got :

http://update.pixinsight.com/
http://update-devel.pixinsight.com/

in my box, but PI gives me a "There are no updates currently available for your PixInsight installation."

My version is PixInsight Core 01.07.00.0702 Starbuck (x86_64), running on Windows 7 Pro 64, so that should work.

Get the latest release from the Software Distribution (http://www.pixinsight.com/dist/index.html). Then updates will work for you.

I'm confused where to find the development scripts like PSFEstimator and others I was interested in trying.
I added the development repository per the above but PI 01.07.06.0793 (x86_64) says 'no updates' and I don't see any new scripts on any menu.  When went to software distribution to look for a new version, I only found 01.07.04.0759 (x86_64) which is a lower version number than I already have.
Can someone straighten me out?
Thanks,
-Jeff

Jeff, with multiple tries I have never been able to get update-devel to download anything. You can easily download and install scripts individually however.

Hi,

Currently there are no modules or scripts available on the development repository. This is not a normal update repository, in the sense that we only use it to distribute new products that, despite still being in the beta stage of development, are already very stable and require user feedback. At present there are no modules or scripts under these circumstances.

If some developer thinks that his or her module or script should be distributed through the development repository, please let us know. The conditions are:

- Still not a release version.
- Almost stable. Think that this is an official repository, so a large percentage of users will download and use the module or script.
- We have to verify it for correctness and stability first.
- In the case of a module, it must compile and build on all supported platforms.

Sorry, I should have clarified this better to avoid confusions.

Back