Up-to-date instructions for enabling GPU acceleration

So I right click on the link you provided and my choice is: Save link as...

Attachments

• Screenshot (67).png
    Screenshot (67).png
    190.7 KB · Views: 88
I now downloaded with Chrome and it now says it is a zip file but still does not open, asking what to open it with. If any further suggestions, iI would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
    189.7 KB · Views: 42
I switched to Chrome and finally got it to work. I confirmed the speed increase.

Thank you for your help- greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if CUDA can be installed on a Dell Vostra 3910 desktop computer that I'm considering purchasing but it has
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER video card with 4 GB GDDR6? It is the only graphics card in the computer and I'm not sure that it can, since it is not a separate GPU card as it is on my laptop that has a NVIDIA GeForce RTX3050 Laptop GPU card in addition to an Intel UHD Graphics card.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

It is the only graphics card in the computer and I'm not sure that it can, since it is not a separate GPU card
Doesn't the Dell Vostro 3910 series offers desktops based on Intel processors with on-board graphics capabilities? Isn't possible for you to add any additional discrete graphics card compatible with its motherboard and its power supply unit?

Processors:
GPUs (offered by Dell):

(If I were you I would enjoy the freedom of a custom-built desktop PC instead of having to choose one of Dell's limited offers).

PS: Regarding PI's hardware needs:

Last edited:
Hello RT! And Thank You so much for this straight forward totorial! It works for my equipment with increadible speed: for Canon 60D fotos of the SXT on the comet it used to be araound 11 Minutes per foto; now its about 25 times less. Using a AMD CPU and Geforce RTX 2080 super with 24Gb of GPU ram. The CUDA-Version 12.0 which I used prior to the V11.8 did not wok at all.
So thank You once again and clear skies!
KVa

RT-
I followed your instructions above on instaling CUDA for PixInsight on my Dell Vostra 15-7510 with two display adapters: Intel UHD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce RTX3050 Laptop GPU, assuming it would use the second GPU. I get very good times for CUDA BXT:24s, NXT: 12s, StarXT: 20s but the attachment shows that the Windows 10 Task Manager Performance Window, snapped while BXT was running, does not show any CUDA window as you show in your testing instructions. It shows instead that the two GPU's with more usage on GPU 0 (Intel UHD) than on the GPU 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTZ3050 Laptop GPU). I am getting very fast times but its not clear to me that CUDA was even installed. But these times are so fast on this machine, its not clear that I'd get much benefit from CUDA if it is not running.
Any advice?
Jeff
I just installed CUDA to my laptop with 4GB RTX3050Ti . Everything work well, except running StarXterminator with AI11 , no problem with AI 11 lite. Did you get the same problem?

All instructions for Pixinsight CUDA acceleration I've seen are too old to cover the latest generation of GPUs, so I wrote a tutorial. This should work on anything from GTX900 to RTX4000-series.

Even if you already got it to work using an older version of CUDA, it's a worthwhile update that will give a hefty speed boost with some GPUs.

https://rikutalvio.blogspot.com/2023/02/pixinsight-cuda.html
Works like magic. NoiseXterminator took minutes before I enabled this, now it is finished like in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
RT thanks a lot for your clear tutorial.
I tried whit a GT 1030 2 GB RAM.
Yes low end graphic card :-(
CPU is AMD Ryzen7 5700G (with integrated AMD graphic)
Processing ASI 294 MC Pro camera file 4144X2822 pixel.
Using only CPU with Starxterminator AI11 lite took 171s, using CUDA 98s (74% better).
Probably It's not worth it but probably yes if you need to process a batch of files (73 s less for each file!) and this card is only 30 W TDP. Cons: you need to use only AI11 LITE version due to 2 Gb video RAM. I use a refractor and then I have not very large spike to manage.

Doesn't the Dell Vostro 3910 series offers desktops based on Intel processors with on-board graphics capabilities? Isn't possible for you to add any additional discrete graphics card compatible with its motherboard and its power supply unit?

Processors:
GPUs (offered by Dell):

(If I were you I would enjoy the freedom of a custom-built desktop PC instead of having to choose one of Dell's limited offers).

PS: Regarding PI's hardware needs:

DID-
The Dell half-price offer ($1900 down to $900) was just too good to pass up. If that single NVIDEA graphics card won't support CUDA for PI, then I will order a discrete graphics GPU card (like the one in my laptop) that will (when I also order another memory stick from Dell).
Tnx.
Jeff

I followed the instructions and was rewarded with at Windows 10 system running StarXTerminator and BlurXTerminator much more rapidly than before. A big win. Thanks for researching and sharing it.

However, I normally use the other boot on this box (Kubuntu 22.04) for my PI processing. I have yet to succeed in getting CUDA acceleration to work there. I'm still hoping to find a similar document for Linux that points out the "gotchas" like this one does for windows...

Back