[SOLVED] Unable to open FITS after upgrade to 1.8.9-2 build 1605

schwim

I recently upgraded to build 1605 from 1573 and found I could no longer open fits files. This is on OSX Monterey.

The error I received is: "*** Error: Unknown or unsupported file type: /Users/schwim/tmp/dark_001.fits"

I did noticed that FITS-pxm.dylib doesn't appear to be loading in build 1605. FITS does not appear in the Format Explorer as well. I uninstalled and re-installed twice, including updating all modules and restarting, and was able to repeat. Rolling back to 1573 (folder backup) appears to get me going again.

I checked the release notes and didn't see anything about fits support being removed completely.

They didn't stop supporting the .fit format, they just can't do it when every single astrocamera and capture program produces its data precisely in .fit format.

What was done is that Monterrey is no longer officially supported, but I'm not sure that's the problem. So, may I ask, does this happen with any .fit file or only with a particular set? You could upload one of those files to a service like google drive, make the file public and post the link here so we can test it.

They didn't stop supporting the .fit format...
Didn't think so but it seemed that way after the update was installed.

This occurs with any fits file I have from various imaging systems run on various systems. In fact, if I try to open one with File->Open, .fit/.fits is not listed as a supported format.

This occurs with any fits file I have from various imaging systems run on various systems. In fact, if I try to open one with File->Open, .fit/.fits is not listed as a supported format.

The absence of the expected library and the fact that the format isn't offered in the file dialog suggests a damaged installation of PI.

The absence of the expected library and the fact that the format isn't offered in the file dialog suggests a damaged installation of PI.
Agreed. I just re-installed from scratch again, updated, and restarted. Still no fits support that I can see, and no FITS-pxm.dylib being loaded or mentioned anywhere in these logs.

What is interesting is the file /Applications/PixInsight/bin/FITS-pxm.dylib does exist.
This is a shasum -256 of that file:
4800de1bbcfd0ecd350eabf36482c9e84b14d1e1597b34e60199bc8b13d2eb64 FITS-pxm.dylib

Possible the xsig doesn't match, so it's not loaded?

Log file of the start up, updates, and re-start attached.

Attachments

• pi-log.txt
    438.8 KB · Views: 17
Just managed to get FITS working but only if I run at the command line. The trick is to run with the '--default-modules' parameter.

Without that parameter:

40 of 40 module(s) installed.

With that parameter:

55 of 55 module(s) installed.

So it's not just FITS that isn't making it via the standard run method.

I believe this to be a bug, moving the topic to the appropriate forum.
It doesn't look like a bug to me but rather an upgrade problem. You did upgrade from build 1573 which is a very old version. A new setting system as been implemented since then (in build 1583) and your settings has been migrated from a .plist to a .settings file.
I suggest you try to rename the files pixinsight.plist and *.settings files in the folder ~/Library/PixInsight and try to start Pixinsight again.

Last edited:
You are correct this was a settings problem. We converged on this possibility at nearly the same time. The solution is to reset all global settings and restart.

Back