Unable to directly open .xisf files from previous PI version

bstraight3

Double clicking on .xisf or .xosm files created in a previous version of PI tries to open a windows installation .msi file from an older version. I see that this this has been an issues after previous PI update releases.

I am currently using the latest PI version 1.8.8.11 (Windows 10 Pro)

Not a serious problem as I can still open the files from within PixInsight, but I know this used to work.

Thanks,
brad straight

I had the same issue - manually registering file types didn't work in Win 10 (home).

Finally uninstalled and reinstalled, which sorted it out.

This cannot happen with the new Windows installer packages released for version 1.8.8-11, since the registry entries corresponding to PixInsight-specific file associations are now generated correctly. If the registry gets corrupted and some file associations become invalid, this is not a problem caused by PixInsight.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling. No joy.

I tied cleaning the registry. There were a number of references to old installation versions that I deleted. I have reinstalled 1.8.8-10 and the associations work again.
I will update again after I reinstall -11 if the associations don't work.

Thanks for the replies. This isn't a pressing iiue in any way, just noticed it didn't work.

brad

I am also having this problem. I am running Windows version 1,8,8-10, which Pixinsight says is the latest version. All my XISF files have been created with this version, but if I double click on the file I get the following message

"Please wait while Windows configures Pixinsight".
It then opens a file explorer window showing the folder into which the installation file would have been originally downloaded and it is looking for the file "PI-windows-x64-1.8.8-10-20211112-c" to run, which is not there.
As the original report (above) says, I can open these files from within Pixinsight, but this should not be occurring and I cannot seem to fix it.
I am running Windows 10 Home.
Graeme

When I take the option in Pixinsight to check for updates, I get the message

"There are no updates currently available for your Pixinsight installation".

About Pixinsight says I am running Core version 1.8.8-10 build 1524.

Do I need to uninstall Pixinsight and install from the general website?

you need to install major updates by downloading them from the software distribution server and running the installer.

rob

I am also having this problem. I am running Windows version 1,8,8-10, which Pixinsight says is the latest version. All my XISF files have been created with this version, but if I double click on the file I get the following message

"Please wait while Windows configures Pixinsight".
It then opens a file explorer window showing the folder into which the installation file would have been originally downloaded and it is looking for the file "PI-windows-x64-1.8.8-10-20211112-c" to run, which is not there.
As the original report (above) says, I can open these files from within Pixinsight, but this should not be occurring and I cannot seem to fix it.
I am running Windows 10 Home.
Graeme
I had to manually clean old references to PI from the Registry. Then I reinstalled and all was good!

Back