Transfer PI to a new computer

SkyAnd

Help needed

After reinstalling PI on another PC, what can I do to update the same settings, add-ons and external processes and scripts as quickly as possible?

Is there an ini file that contains everything and can be transferred from the old system to the PI folder?

Thanks and CS, Andreas

The main settings file on a Windows machine is %AppData%\Pleiades\Pixinsight.ini. You could try moving that from the old machine to the new. (No idea if that's a recommended procedure, though.)

No idea if that's a recommended procedure, though.
The pixinsight.ini file contains lots of direct full path file references (e.g. lots of processing history, including the paths to the user image files previously processed), which will probably not be valid on the new system. I'm not sure just how much trouble this will cause.

The pixinsight.ini file contains lots of direct full path file references (e.g. lots of processing history, including the paths to the user image files previously processed), which will probably not be valid on the new system. I'm not sure just how much trouble this will cause.
Yes. I was thinking to add that it would be best if the directory structure on the new machine was identical to the old one.

Ok lets do the hard work by re installing step by step ;) Thanks for your help

CS
Setting up a new computer is always a PITA... especially for those of us who have substantially deviated from stock installations with uncommon software and loads of utilities. That said, though... such systems are precisely the sort that have accumulated a lot of baggage over time, so spending a couple of days rebuilding our environment is likely well worth the effort. IMO the most important thing is to keep the old system operational during the creation of the new one. No matter how careful you are preparing things for transfer, there's always something that gets left behind, hiding in some weird place.

This has already become a philosophical conversation... many thanks for your efforts and CS

Back