TIFF Problems

Gr4h4m

I'm having some issues exporting TIFF files from PixInsight.

Yesterday I was applying the Screen Transformation Function to the Histogram and then saving the image as a 16bit TIFF for further processing in Photoshop.....no issues.

Today, however, when I do the same thing the exported TIFF file is much darker than what the preview shows in PixInsight.

I can't seem to work out what I'm doing wrong as I don't think I'm doing anything different to what I did yesterday.

The first screenshot shows what the image looks like after I've applied the STF to the Histogram.

The second screenshot is how the 16bit TIFF file displays once saved.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-07 14.43.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-07 14.43.40.png
    682.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2020-07-07 14.44.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-07 14.44.17.png
    890.5 KB · Views: 57
G

Even though you claim you saved the image as a 16-bit file... what you are displaying is exactly the result if you (accidentally) save as an 8-bit TIFF out of PixInsight. Could you try again..and make certain it is 16bit?
-adam

I've added a link to the file.

There's definitely something going on as, even when exporting as a TIFF, the file size appears to be reduced massively.

After a bit of trial and error I've realised this isn't specific to PI. I imported the TIFF into Photoshop straight from Deep Sky Stacker and, again, when exporting from Photoshop, I get the same dark image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq9nrzivoqfawh1/NGC6188 - Ha - Photoshop.tif?dl=0

I've just exported the same image as a JPEG and had no issues so the issue is confined to TIFF files.

Last edited:
I've added a link to the file.

There's definitely something going on as, even when exporting as a TIFF, the file size appears to be reduced massively.

After a bit of trial and error I've realised this isn't specific to PI. I imported the TIFF into Photoshop straight from Deep Sky Stacker and, again, when exporting from Photoshop, I get the same dark image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq9nrzivoqfawh1/NGC6188 - Ha - Photoshop.tif?dl=0

I've just exported the same image as a JPEG and had no issues so the issue is confined to TIFF files.
I am having same issue.

... a zombie has sprung to life! Could you upload a problem image, with a bit more detail about your processing.

Back