TIF write failure leads to a mess of errors

Linwood

I had a 2.6GB XISF file, which I saved. Then I did a save-as to a TIFF file of the same name to take to Photoshop, which failed from being too large.

Then I tried doing a save-as 16 bit TIF under the same name, and got an in-use message, and see there was a 2G TIFF file there, as though it did not discover the size error until it had written 2G (which makes sense, but it was holding it open apparently).

I acknowledged that error and did another save-as and selected 16 bit. I made a mistake at this point and did NOT select TIFF, it was still xisf. So it should have been overwriting the 32 bit XISF. That's when it gave the rather bizarre error below.

By this the I had lost my original file as well, sadly (my fault for not selecting TIFF). But I can recreate it.

But I think it's an error that it holds an aborted file open. I think the error below is, well, also probably not the intended behavior.

Windows Pro x 64, 1.8.8-7.

err.jpg

Just a note to say this error still occurs for me in 1.8.8-9, especially when saving a TIF and hitting the file size limit, but I think the error is more generally any error saving.

Basically when PI starts saving a file and fails, it never closes the file, so touching that file causes various errors depending on context.

PI needs to clean up its file handles upon failure.

Back