telescope.live stuff

pfile

i subscribed to telescope live and got to work.

here are some images:

ngc 3981. this is a really interesting flocculent spiral galaxy in the southern hemisphere. the telescope is a staggering 1m aperture, 6800mm focal length RC with nasmyth focus and a field derotator. this is one of the "pro datasets" and was acquired sometime last year.

triffid nebula, M20. this is from the CDK24. starless version using starnet. another "pro dataset"

centaurus A - this is 3 "one-click" observations put together. this target does deserve more integration time. MUREDenoise was helpful here.

processing such clean data is a lot of fun. aside from some sensor artifacts in the ngc 3981 data, these images practically process themselves...

rob

I had a browse around their website—not the easiest to navigate, but their offering does look good and quite affordable. I wonder, though, does just downloading someone else’s data take some of the fun away? I know processing is also a big part of the fun—for me probably the biggest part. But pristine data would take a lot of the challenge (and perhaps satisfaction) out of processing.
I might hit on their free trial and see if I want to continue.

does just downloading someone else’s data take some of the fun away

yes it kind of does. i guess for me the consolation is that i don't have access to any of these southern hemisphere targets and the weather where i live is almost always bad (plus it is a bortle 7/8 area). part of the challenge of imaging anything from here is dealing with zillions of frames and bad gradients, so it is certainly more satisfying to get a good image from home. but i hear what you are saying.

Nicely done! Maybe I should consider this site myself during the summer season. I find myself relearning Pixinsight every autumn and just about when I'm getting the hang of it, the season is over, hehe. Maybe I can hit the ground running when season starts up again if I have something to process during the summer, keeping the work flow alive in my brain :)

g

here's another one from the CDK24 in chile - southern pinwheel:

kept the background a little high since i could see some faint outer areas in the galaxy that i've never noticed before...

rob

Back