Support for A7R5

hmorikawa

Can someone tell me if the A7R5 RAW is supported on PixInsight? I'm planning to buy the application but I didn't know if the A7R5 raw is supported yet as it seems like PixInsight uses LibRaw and version 0.21 does not list the camera yet. AstroPixelProcessor however does support so I'm torn between the 2 application.

Thanks in advance.

If you upload a raw file and post a link we could try loading it. It doesn't need to be an astro photo - a terrestrial file will do.

I have some A7R5 raw in hand. Unfortunately I am in a place with extremely slow internet connection. I can’t share the large file until next week.

That being said, I don’t think one should base the choice of APP vs PI on whether A7R5 is supported right now. Even if one of them does not yet support it, the support will come soon. That’s almost guaranteed. The choice between the two should be based on something else, given the rather huge difference between them in terms of, almost everything.

Although the Sony ILCE-7RM5 (A7R V) is still not included in LibRaw's list of supported cameras, the current version of our RAW module can open its raw files (.arw) without problems.

However, as Wei-Hao says, if you base your decision on this fact alone, you will probably make the wrong decision anyway, in either direction.

1674826836511.png

They open fine under the current PI.

Actually...
...the image looks fine, but is only in the "top, left" region, 6270x4180, out of the nominal image size 6656x4608 (the remainder being black). There also appears to be 32 replicated pixel columns to the right of the image. I note that the image viewer on Google Drive also displays these features:
1674828741625.png

So, on second thoughts, I don't think the image is decoding right (in PI or in Google Drive).
I think LibRaw lies behind most generic raw image viewers, so it's just a matter of time before LibRaw catches up.

Thank you! I did notice something similar when I used the Astro Pixel Processor so maybe the issue is the same and probably Astro Pixel Processor also use the same module.

Back