Subframe Selector output formats

bmimiaga

The newer version of Subframe Selector seems to be quite robust but seems limited in moving the output subframes to a new 'approved' folder. The format output is to Extensible Image Serialization format regardless of the original format of the subs. The older version of SFS allowed the movement of subframes from one folder to another keeping the original sub formats intact. Is there a way to preserve the same sub format for the approved subs?

Thanks, Bob

You would most likely do a ImageCalibration first and the files, normally .FIT, will be changed to .XISF and then do CosmeticCorrection before going to SubframeSelector. You should use the .XISF file format as it stores all the history and other pertinent information like "weighting" etc in the header.

If you really want to go back to a fits format, you can open the file(s) and resave them as .FIT

Hope this helps,
John

the reason the new SFS does this is because it has the capability to rewrite the FITS header of the output sub with a weight, which is computed from an expression you can put into SFS. so this is why it copies the files instead of moving them.

also for best results with SFS you should be using calibrated frames as john points out above. in that case the files are already going to be in XISF format and since FITS is depreciated as an 'internal' file format for PI, you really do need to be using XISF down the pipeline from ImageCalibration.

John and PTeam member,

Thanks for the explanation which makes sense normally. I wanted to use SFS initially on my subs to filter out the bad ones than bring the remaining subs into Deep Sky Tracker to make a comparison with an integration with the PixInsight integration. In this case it would be an advantage to be able to 'move' or 'copy' the remaining SFS approved files into another folder. I'm assuming the new SFS doesn't provide that capability anymore?

Thanks again,
Bob

it doesn't have that functionality anymore. what i've done in the past is this somewhat ridiculous hack: i mark all the bad images as bad, then invert the list. then i run "output subframes" into another folder. now i've got a list of the bad filenames. because i'm a unix shell user i can then do some tricks to use that list of filenames to move the bad original files to another folder. i don't know how you'd do this expeditiously on windows, but there is probably some way with powershell or similar to accomplish this.

lots of the PI scripts and processes are user-contributed and as it turns out SFS started life as a script written by a user, and then a year or two ago a different user decided to write SFS as a module. he had his own ideas about how to do it, which accounts for the differences between the two. eventually Juan removed the script because of the aforementioned weighting and XISF stuff.

PTeam Member,
Thanks again for the explanation. Since I've got your ear you might mention to your team what an amazing product you guys have developed for the astrophotography community!

Clear skies,
Bob

Back