Starnet ++ with New Mac M1pro Chip, not working

I tried all the above hints, I cannot install Startnet V2 on my new MBP M2 Max :(.
Changing the executable state of the tensorflow libs helps getting rid of the OS warning popups, but that's it.
Copying the same libs in the Frameworks folder of the PI app package causes PI to crash when searching for new modules.
Bottom line: nothing has worked out so far.
Of note, I'm running Ventura 13.2, if this can help.

do you have the backtrace for the PI crash? might be interesting to see what is happening.

the rosetta2 emulator does not support AVX2/FMA instructions and i think if you were to try to load a library containing those instructions, it would probably die with an illegal instruction trap. so if for some reason the tensorflow library you are trying to use has those instructions that could cause the crash. but as far as i know starnet2 is distributed with tensorflow libraries that don't have these instructions.

When the crash happened I think I submitted the report through the dialog box that showed up. Otherwise, is it stored anywhere locally? If so I might be able to share it.

Hi, everyone!

Apologies for never being present on this forum! I finally took some time to figure out the signing and notarization process and have updated the binaries on the website. From now on I hope there at least will be no hussle with getting past the Gatekeeper!

Not sure what to do with the inconsistent paths though...

Thank you all!

Caution, on my system (Windows 11), the AV software (Avira Security) put the complete PixInsight installation in quarantine after exchange of the files "StarNet2-pxm.dll" and "StarNet2-weights.pb".

So I concluded one has to turn off AV software, exchange the files, start PixInsight, install the StarNet2 module and then turn on AV software again.

Initially, after a new install of PixInsight, all was working correctly and the instance source code of a StarNet2 process looked like this:

var P = new StarNet2;
P.stride = StarNet2.prototype.itemOne;
P.mask = true;
P.linear = true;
P.upsample = true;

So the previously missing parameters are now present. I have not tested it, but executing the process with an image container (see https://pixinsight.com/forum/index....-batch-different-results-versus-1-by-1.20307/ ) should work correctly now.

Unfortunately, the PixInsight installation was put in quarantine again when I quit PixInsight. This behavior certainly is a fault of Avira Security, but what can I do now?

Bernd

P.S.
When the file that triggers the quarantine (StarNet2-pxm.dll) is selectively scanned with Avira Security, no threat is detected. I am stumped.

Last edited:
I reported my problem to Avira, but got no response.

Today I recognized that again a new version of the StarNet2-pxm.dll was released (February 12, 2023). Using this dll, I have no issues - StarNet2 works, as well with GPU support using NVIDIA CUDA. Thank you, Nikita!

Bernd

Hello
So I downloaded the latest Starnet 2 from the official source, https://www.starnetastro.com/download/.
Context: I'm running the latest PI version on the latest MacOS, MBP M2 Max.
The "standard* installation in the PI's bin folder still didn't work on my machine, the module was not showing up when searching for new modules.
I had to resort copying the two libtensorflow files into "/Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/Frameworks/" to have Starnet V2 installed successfully.
The good news is that I finally got it to work :)
Many thanks to @mmisiura1 for the updated files.
CS, Rodolphe

The "standard* installation in the PI's bin folder still didn't work on my machine, the module was not showing up when searching for new modules.
I had to resort copying the two libtensorflow files into "/Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/Frameworks/" to have Starnet V2 installed successfully.
I actually suddenly encountered this on my machine, although the bin folder used to work. This seems to be the universal solution to problems on Mac, will add it directly to the Download page on the website.

Hi. I have a M class Mac Pro but don't see the PixInsight.app directory.... and I did unhide the directories but nothing.

it is in /Applications/PixInsight/

in finder it will look like an application, you need to highlight it, right click (or control click) and select "Show Package Contents"

Thank you! I finally figure it out and went to "install module in Process, finally found it and installed it "et voilà!" like magic, it is back. I was so frustrated with this. I feel so dumb because in my old days I used to be a Windows 3.1, MS dos and C++ programer geek... now I know nothing about mac and I can barely make sense of windows. :) Again, Thank you for your help

Back