StarNet - new module for star removal

just type

cd "C:/Program Files/PixInsight/bin"

into the pixinsight console and it will work.

rob

I can confirm I have the same problem. The StarNet++ module only works for me if I completely close out of PI and open a new instance, then open my image and finally StarNet++. If I try to use the module within my default project I get the "Checkpoint file not found" message. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future release because it is a very useful tool!

Thanks
[/quote]

Same way for me with Pix last update 1.8.8 and Win10 in new or existing project("Checkpoint file not found"). Before with Pix 1.8.7 StarNet work.
Thanks

Hello Rob, et.al.
I have looked through the pages of this thread and I can't find the answer to this question:
When I go to Process > Modules > Install Modules...  and then click "recursive" I get the error that Mac Catalina 10.51.1 won't open StarNet because it comes from an unknown developer.  I know how to handle this issue with an app that I want to install ... just command-click and then select open but how do I handle this within Pixinsight?  Thanks for any help
Walter

hi walter, i think after that happens, if you go into the system preferences and click on "security & privacy" there will be a button in the lower half of the window mentioning the dylib and a button that says "install anyway" or something like that.

i don't have 10.15 on any of my machines so i can't test, but i think others reported being able to override this and get it installed on 10.15

rob

edit: i should say that after clicking that you probably need to re-try installing the module from within pixinsight. i think clicking the button only marks the .dylib file as being safe, it doesn't actually install it.

Hi,
Sorry! It was a mistake from to me. StarNet work well under Pix 1.8.8 and Win 10. All the files from Starnet_PI_windows zip (.pb and .dll) must be paste in Pixinsight/bin.

mmisiura1 said:
Hi, everyone!

For I while now (more than a year) I have been working on a new process for star removal. It is a specially trained neural network that is supposed to remove all the stars in one simple step and does not require any parameters to tune. It just works (or sometimes it does not :D).

Anyway, I released it a while ago and it was shown to work pretty well for most users. I was getting a lot of good feedback and also was asked a lot for a PI module version of the program.

So here is the link to download the new module: https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/PixInsight_module/

I consider it to be a beta release, so there might be some bugs. Also, one downside for now is that PI freezes and does not reply while the code is running. So keep that in mind and try on a small image at first.

Please read README.txt file for all the instructions and caveats. You can find some more information, discussion and examples of images if you search 'StarNet' on AB or in my releases on AB:

https://www.astrobin.com/409279/
https://www.astrobin.com/339099/

Let me know how it works for you! Also, it would be nice if someone could give me some idea on how to make PI not to freeze while the code is running!

Thank you!

It works great. Thank you very much :)

Tried loading this module for the first time using 1.8.8-3 Linux, searching for module fails before I can even select it. Per the instructions, after going to Process>Modules>Install Modules, clicking on 'Search' causes PI to instantly crash and exit. Files are in /opt/PixInsight/bin as per instructions. Is this a PI Linux issue or a StarNet/++ issue?

I have read through most of this thread and seem to be in a boat all by myself.

I am running MAC OS Ver10.14.6 Mojave

I am using the most recent PixInsight update 1.8.8-3

I have copied the zip file for the MAC OS from Sourceforge, unzipped the files and placed in the bin folder  /Applications/PixInsight/Bin

When I try to "Install Modules" in PixInsight ..a popup box appears ...see attachments - it matters not whether I select recursive or not.  I get the same message.  .....If I go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES in the SECURITY and PRIVACY tab "starnet++" is not available to approve.

I have the correct files in the bin folder per my understanding of others on this thread (not the stand alone)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 3.52.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 3.52.50 PM.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 3.52.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 3.52.36 PM.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 65
if i remember correctly, if the tensorflow libraries are not in the right place or uninstalled, then PI does not actually try to load the module (and thus the gatekeeper approval thing never appears in the System Preferences.)

so i'd say double-check that the tensorflow dylibs are properly installed.

rob

I am over my head trying to understand this......those files are located in the same bin that the other Starnet++ files reside.  Do I need to move them (install them) somewhere else?

the tensorflow dylibs need to be copied into either

/usr/local/lib or /Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/Frameworks/

since /usr is hidden in the finder, it might be easier to copy the tensorflow dylibs to /Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/Frameworks/

rob

Thank you, thank you....    I will follow your instructions!  Fingers crossed.  Will report back later today when I return and give this a try!

I got it installed ..however when I try to run it, I get a "Checkpoint" error.    I searched a for a thread with this issue and saw this remedy

cd /bin/PixInsight

I tried several variations also,

cd /applications/pixinsight/bin/
cd /applications/pixinsight/bin/pixinsight
cd /applications/PixInsight/bin
cd /applications/PixInsight/bin/Pixinsght

I get the same error message "checkpoint error" when trying any of the above

well if you read the README you'll see that the checkpoint files should be installed in /Applications/PixInsight/lib

those workarounds only apply to the linux and windows versions of the starnet module. i edited nikita's source code to hardcode the path /Applications/PixInsight/lib when the module is trying to load the checkpoint files. therefore no matter what you change the PI working directory to, the module won't be able to find the weights. they have to be in that directory.

move the weights to /Applications/PixInsight/lib and it will definitely work for you.

rob

sparkyht said:
Tried loading this module for the first time using 1.8.8-3 Linux, searching for module fails before I can even select it. Per the instructions, after going to Process>Modules>Install Modules, clicking on 'Search' causes PI to instantly crash and exit. Files are in /opt/PixInsight/bin as per instructions. Is this a PI Linux issue or a StarNet/++ issue?

So no ideas here? Apparently no one has gotten the StarNet++ PI module to work on Linux to help me out? Great. All I can do is follow the instructions, which ain't that difficult. PI crashes before I can even attempt to scan the module in, so I'm at a loss here.

**EDIT** Looking further into this, it appears the Xeon X5675 does not support AVX instructions. libtensorflow is compiled for AVX, so that's likely the cause of the crash right there. Darn. :(

I finally got Starnet++ to work in Pixinsight on my iMac running Catalina...only took about 6 hours of manipulating files and reading Forum posts!!  Am I correct that Starnet will ONLY work on 16bit unassigned TIFF files?
Thanks!
Tom

the command line versions only work on 16-bit tiff files. however, the pixinsight module can run on any view that you have open on the desktop, no matter the bit depth.

although starnet only works on stretched images, astroedo figured out how to run it on linear images by using STF to figure out an MTF curve to temporarily stretch the image in a way that can be undone.

rob

pfile said:
the command line versions only work on 16-bit tiff files. however, the pixinsight module can run on any view that you have open on the desktop, no matter the bit depth.

although starnet only works on stretched images, astroedo figured out how to run it on linear images by using STF to figure out an MTF curve to temporarily stretch the image in a way that can be undone.

rob
Thanks for the info....I just was corresponding with another member and he said the same thing.  I'm just going to play around with it and see what comes out...sure I'll have some more questions!!
Thanks Again!!
Tom

Back