StarNet - new module for star removal

yes those files are the standalone c++ version.

the PI module is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/PixInsight_module/

rob

Thanks so much Rob, I did look everywhere, I must be blind!

Will this module allow you to put the stars back in or just remove them?

it just removes them, but what you can do is use pixelmath to subtract the starless image from the original image which creates a star mask. you can then apply that mask to the starless image and then use pixelmath to add the stars back in, with whatever modifications you've done of course (like a separate stretch which preserves star colors better or what have you)

rob

Thanks Rob, just tried to >process>modules.install modules and then pointed it to the directory where I have extracted them from as in C:\Program Files\PixInsight\starnet_win and o found, am I doing something wrong?

John, Just drop some pointers on your post on https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/341204-melotte-15/#comment-3710651

Sry can't help you on installation as I am on Mac

Jkulin said:
Thanks Rob, just tried to >process>modules.install modules and then pointed it to the directory where I have extracted them from as in C:\Program Files\PixInsight\starnet_win and o found, am I doing something wrong?

i've heard that if your CPU does not have the right AVX instructions that the module silently refuses to install. have you run starnet++ successfully from the command line? that would say whether or not your CPU is capable.

rob

Hi Rob,

Yes run from the command line al all perfect.

I'm running an Intel I7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB Ram Windows 10 Enterprise

Hi Rob,

Yes I did as per attached

Attachments

• Starnet_files_failure.PNG
    Starnet_files_failure.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 75
well... i don't know; like dave i am on a mac so i have never been able to test this. maybe someone running windows can chime in...

rob

Thanks,

Just did that and still no joy.

0 Modules found either with the recursive checked or unchecked and all the files are in the c:\program files\pixinsight\bin directory

Attachments

• Starnet_files_b.PNG
    Starnet_files_b.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 61
Jkulin said:
Thanks,

Just did that and still no joy.

0 Modules found either with the recursive checked or unchecked and all the files are in the c:\program files\pixinsight\bin directory

These are not PI module files, those are files for standalone version. Here is what you need: https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/PixInsight_module/

Thanks for that, I didn't check the download as sourceforge came up with its automatic download in 5 secs, is now I have gone and I think downloaded the correct module and will check.

Many Thanks.

NB. Update, Many Thanks, it is now working, appreciate your patience.

Jkulin said:
Thanks for that, I didn't check the download as sourceforge came up with its automatic download in 5 secs, is now I have gone and I think downloaded the correct module and will check.

Many Thanks.

NB. Update, Many Thanks, it is now working, appreciate your patience.

Yes, that automatic download is pretty confusing, I agree, but don't know how to change that...

John Massey said:
I had the same issue, my cpu is to old. reference the readme text file that came with Starnet.
"Second, the tensorflow.dll was compiled to support AVX instructions
and will only work if your CPU supports these AVX instructions.
Which means that CPUs made before 2011 will not work."

I'm running an AMD Ryzen 1700X that is only 1.5 years old and I receive the same error message. Can it be that my relatively new AMD is not supported? Does this mean that I am unable to use the application at the command line as well? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Mike

photonhunter1 said:
John Massey said:
I had the same issue, my cpu is to old. reference the readme text file that came with Starnet.

I'm running an AMD Ryzen 1700X that is only 1.5 years old and I receive the same error message. Can it be that my relatively new AMD is not supported? Does this mean that I am unable to use the application at the command line as well? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

I may have solved my problem - I didn't realize the auto download was not the PI file. I'm downloading the PI file and we'll try again.
Mike

photonhunter1 said:
photonhunter1 said:
John Massey said:

I may have solved my problem - I didn't realize the auto download was not the PI file. I'm downloading the PI file and we'll try again.
Mike

New file, same results. Does anyone know if the Ryzen 1700X does not support AVX?

I also get this message, but I just ignore it and everything works just fine, does it fail on your installation or is it working?
I think it may be just a general warning message.

Guess I either read the README file too quickly or I didn't understand that all of the files in the Starnet folder, with the exception of the LICENSE and README files, needed to be in PixInsight\bin and not PixInsight\bin\Starnet_PI. We're up and running. Thank you.

Mike

Back