StarNet - new module for star removal

I had the same issue, my cpu is to old. reference the readme text file that came with Starnet.
"Second, the tensorflow.dll was compiled to support AVX instructions
and will only work if your CPU supports these AVX instructions.
Which means that CPUs made before 2011 will not work."

pfile said:
it's windows-only at this point (unless something changed since i downloaded the zipfile a while back.)

rob

Thanks! I was so excited about it, I must have skipped over that part. would be amazing if it could be made for Mac!!!

you may be able to download a tensorflow.dll compiled without AVX instructions from tensorflow.org. if not, the only other option would be to recompile tensorflow from scratch for your CPU. it will be slow, but it will probably work.

https://tensorflow.org

rob

praspekt said:
pfile said:
it's windows-only at this point (unless something changed since i downloaded the zipfile a while back.)

rob

Thanks! I was so excited about it, I must have skipped over that part. would be amazing if it could be made for Mac!!!

i think nikita is working on that, but had some trouble with it.

rob

Thank you for this. Your add-in works amazingly and this is a great native process addition to Pixinsight. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for further development. Some things I would love to see at some point in the future:

• progress reporting to the process console. Especially for large images, the process can take a long time. Knowing it is working and not locked up would be nice
  • ability to work on linear images
  • ability to train the program on our own data (within pixinsight)

But great work!

Hi,
probably my CPU is to old. In the weekend I'll try with a newer one.

Thanks and best regards to all,
    Sergio

Hi Nikita,

I have downloaded the Mac version and it works perfectly with your supplied test .tif files, however, when I convert a .jpg file to a .tif file in Photoshop it does not work.......it goes through the motions and says done but does not save the processed image.....any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

This is the console log:
Daves-MBP:StarNet_MacOS davewatson$ /Users/davewatson/Desktop/StarNet_MacOS/run_rgb_starnet.sh /Users/davewatson/Desktop/StarNet_MacOS/test.tif
Reading input image... Done!
Bits per sample: 16
Samples per pixel: 3
Height: 712
Width: 1048
Restoring neural network checkpoint... Done!
2019-06-27 22:17:59.934499: I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA
Total number of tiles: 204
100% finished

Done!

Hello to all,
I tried again on the I5 processor, and the followoing error appeared.
Any idea? Could someone help me?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
  Sergio

StarNet: Processing view: NGC7023_1920_1080
Writing swap files...
239.349 MiB/s
Starting star removal procedure...
Stride: 8
Image size: 1080x1920
Number of channels: 3
Color space: RGB
Has alpha channels: false
Float sample: false
Restoring neural network checkpoint...
Error: Checkpoint file not found!
Reading swap files...
290.779 MiB/s
<* failed *>

sfacchin said:
Hello to all,
I tried again on the I5 processor, and the followoing error appeared.
Any idea? Could someone help me?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
  Sergio

StarNet: Processing view: NGC7023_1920_1080
Writing swap files...
239.349 MiB/s
Starting star removal procedure...
Stride: 8
Image size: 1080x1920
Number of channels: 3
Color space: RGB
Has alpha channels: false
Float sample: false
Restoring neural network checkpoint...
Error: Checkpoint file not found!
Reading swap files...
290.779 MiB/s
<* failed *>

Did you try restarting PI? Try that first.

If it will not work even after that, please go to process console, type 'pwd' command and copy the output here.

Thank you!

Sorry, I see I missed quite a bit. For some reason I am no longer getting notifications about new posts in this thread. Thank you all for kind words. Looks like Rob already sorted out most of the issues, but I will make a few remarks:

1. By this moment I am sure that if PI does not list StarNet as a new module in the search window, that means your CPU is not supported and the code will not work anyway.

2. If you installed module, but still getting checkpoint error, try restarting PI. If that still does not help, try opening Process Console and run 'pwd' command. Ideally, that should output PI's bin directory address, in my case its
C:/Program Files/PixInsight/bin
If it outputs something different, then try typing:
cd "C:/Program Files/PixInsight/bin"
Or other path depending on your PI's installation location. And don't forget double quotes here! That should solve the problem, I think. I will try to address this issue in the next version.

3. PI plugin for MacOS is on the way. I am a bit busy right now, but still working on it.

4. I do not recommend changing stride value anymore. Just live it at 128. It is much simpler to correct remaining artifacts in PS. The reason for that is that as you decrease the stride value, artifacts get less notable, yes, but on the other hand you start getting more of them since image is processed in smaller tiles.

Thank you for the great job.

I have a request if it is not too compicate to do.
At the moment the "create starmask" flag allows to create the starmask when checked OR the starless image if unchecked.

It would be possible having BOTH? the starless image and the starmask image (eventually in a new image)

I know that I can get the same result with PixelMath with the "Normal_IMG-Starless_IMG" expression, but I'm a lazy guy  :D :p

Thank you very much!

Hello StarNet fans,

If you haven't noticed it, the StarNet module seems to respect masks! Useful when you do want those tiny galaxies in your images!

astroedo said:
Thank you for the great job.

I have a request if it is not too compicate to do.
At the moment the "create starmask" flag allows to create the starmask when checked OR the starless image if unchecked.

It would be possible having BOTH? the starless image and the starmask image (eventually in a new image)

I know that I can get the same result with PixelMath with the "Normal_IMG-Starless_IMG" expression, but I'm a lazy guy  :D :p

Thank you very much!

That will be implemented for sure in the next release!

dld said:
Hello StarNet fans,

If you haven't noticed it, the StarNet module seems to respect masks! Useful when you do want those tiny galaxies in your images!

I actually didn't have to do anything for that - PI handles masks automatically! 8)

Hello mmisiura1,
I restarted several times PI, but not good results. The pwd command response is the following:

pwd
C:/Program Files/PixInsight

Regardas,
  Sergio

sfacchin said:
Hello mmisiura1,
I restarted several times PI, but not good results. The pwd command response is the following:

pwd
C:/Program Files/PixInsight

Regardas,
  Sergio

Sergio,

Open the Process Console and paste the following command:

cd "C:/Program Files/PixInsight/bin"

After that, StarNet will work. I will address this issue in the next version.

Hello,
now it works! Excellent tool and very useful.

Thanks for your support and best regards,
        Sergio

Hi I'm Marco
I have two PC, a latop and desktop
When i install starnet on desktop, i have no problem, PI find a new module without error
On my latop Olivetti i try more time to search a module but PI don't recognise the form, even if the files are copied to the right folder
Please can you help me to solve this problem?
Thanks
Marco

Back