Starnet++ Installation on iMac Running Catalina

Has anyone figured out how to install Starnet++ on an iMac running Catalina in the new version of Pixinsight, as of now??  I know some others had reported problems last week and I may have missed a post on a solution to the problem.  It installed, fine, on the previous version of Pixinsight but when I downloaded the new version and tried to reinstall Starnet++ nothing is found in the recursive search (or just plain search) in the Install Modules.
Thanks!
Tom

hi there is an active thread about this already.

as released the module will not work against -5 due to new apple security requirements. the dylib i made for nikita is not signed, therefore OSX won't allow it to be loaded. juan has indicated that he will sign the module but he has to go download it and do the work.

rob

Thanks for the info!  I had posted about this exact problem in Announcements concerning PI 1.8-8-5

Jon

I'm a Mac person and want to mention that I'm eagerly waiting for the solution to the Starnet++ problem.

Yes, I am in the same situation. I just installed the 8-5 version and I cannot install Starnet even if I give permission in the Mac security panel. It freezes the first time and then it doesn't find the module anymore.

There is a problem with StarNet installation on OSX that is to do with signing of the dylib, Juan/Rob are still working on a fix, you will have to be patient on this. It will NOT find the module until the dylib has been signed..........BTW there is already an active thread on this.

I have both 1.8.8-4 and 1.8.8-5 installed on my mac and switch to -4 if I want to use StarNet.......its a pain but it works and allows me to move forward.

I have PixInsight Ver 1.8.8-5 and Mac OSX 10.15.6 IMac Retina I5 3.7 GHz 24Gb and after following the Raedme.txt and trawling Unix Terminal command line login and using sudo cp etc. Installed it with partial success in PixInsight and it runs but says it "Can not use on RGB background" ??? I think there is a mono and an RGB start to this software but don't know how to do that. Its takes forever and the results are not very good so far. Most U-Tube Startnet ++ information seem to use Windows and Mono NB so not much help there for OSC Also instructions says Non Stretched but many seem to be saying Stretched using Tif files?.

the PI module should be able to detect what kind of image it is running on (1-plane mono vs. 3-plane RGB) and apply the right weights file without the user needing to intervene. do you have both weights files installed?

also... the PI module doesn't load on -5 with SIP turned on (which is the default situation on all macs.) so in theory this should not be working at all for you. are you sure you haven't loaded the command line version of starnet++?

also also - yes the file needs to be stretched for starnet++ to work properly.

Last edited:
the PI module should be able to detect what kind of image it is running on (1-plane mono vs. 3-plane RGB) and apply the right weights file without the user needing to intervene. do you have both weights files installed?

also... the PI module doesn't load on -5 with SIP turned on (which is the default situation on all macs.) so in theory this should not be working at all for you. are you sure you haven't loaded the command line version of starnet++?

also also - yes the file needs to be stretched for starnet++ to work properly.
Thank you for your reply and yes both weight files are loaded in the same directory. I downloaded the Mac version and configured as per Readme Instructions. Files are in PixInsight bin, Pixinsight.app files etc. It installed without a problem when PixInsight was powered on and the ez decor first script runs but the help instruction (non stretched image etc would seem to be wrong)? The results are working but I don't know what to set and results are not good and so long to finish with no update where in the process you are. I was putting it down to the error 'Can not use on RGB background' I thought this was the first thing I have to fix?

ez decon is the wrong place to start. that script does stuff behind the scenes, possibly doing a reversable stretch before running starnet++ and then undoing it afterward. it's also possible that EZ decon will only operate on mono images. the point being that you might be seeing a problem with how you are using EZ decon rather than starnet itself.

just open the starnet++ module from Processes > All Processess > Starnet++ and see if it opens. then open up a stretched RGB image and try to apply it to that image. if that's all OK then your problem is with EZ decon.

rob

Thank you for your reply and guidance. starnet++ module doesn't appear in all >all processess ? I reinstalled it from scratch and it does appear to run with RGB and clean up the stars and would look great except I have translucent work area rectangles over the shot. As I don't really have much of an idea of the various steps or interventions I think it works except for my very limitted knowledge.

if it's not in the process menu then it is not installed. i don't know what EZDecon does if it can't find the starnet++ module, but maybe it is making a starmask thru some other means.

It’s in the PixInsight bin directory with the other processes but it’s greyed out like it’s already installed.
definitely I need more research on starnet++ installation on a Mac as U Tube installation guides are mostly windows.

it's only installed if it is in PI's process menu... it's a known problem that it just won't install on 10.15 and 10.14 because of the fact that the starnet++ module is not cryptographically signed, and the PI program is set up to disallow loading of unsigned modules (1.8.8-5 at least). there is a solution for 1.8.8-6 that we are working on now.

Thank you. I think I have gone as far as I can for now. I did have some success without Starnet++ in the installed process list using EZ Decon using background mask and one equalised colour space mask with luminance extracted and had a great black background but with the process artifacts all over it. (Transparent large rectangles). Will wait for 1.8.8-6 ...thank you.

Back