StarNet - CTD / BSOD

aclark2

Hi, I'm relatively new to PI, my first attempts at using StarNet resulting in some serious crashes. About 10% of the times I use it seems to work, of the other 90%, 20% result in PI disappearing and crashing to desktop, the other 80% more worryingly result in a BSOD, inconsistent error reports suggest memory corruption.

I installed the standalone StarNet++ and successfully used that on the same image without issues.

The settings used for StarNet were defaults.

Process involved pretty standard stacking to a master light image and attempting to apply StarNet.

Any advice on what I can do to help diagnose appreciated.

Andy.

PixInsight Version : 1.8.8-7 Ripley (x64) (2020-12-17)
My System Spec in attached DxDaig info.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    112.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
is the stride parameter the same between the PI version and the command line version?

rob

is the stride parameter the same between the PI version and the command line version?

rob

I've tested both with strides of 64 and 128, the stand alone StarNet++ appears to work without issue in both cases, the StarNet module within PI so far has only crashed when using the default of 128 in my test cases, I've not performed many runs at 64.

i think the smaller strides require more memory but i could be wrong about that. i was thinking maybe the greater memory pressure could be exposing problems with your RAM. but it is just a theory. the PI starnet module is just a wrapper around the call to tensorflow so the actual work of removing stars done by both the standalone and the PI module is the same.

i think the smaller strides require more memory but i could be wrong about that. i was thinking maybe the greater memory pressure could be exposing problems with your RAM. but it is just a theory. the PI starnet module is just a wrapper around the call to tensorflow so the actual work of removing stars done by both the standalone and the PI module is the same.

I've monitored resource usage during processing in all cases, it tends to sit around 75-80% CPU and around 3 GiB of RAM usage max, which is a small amount of the total 64 GiB system RAM. I use the pc for my daily work and obviously for astro processing which takes up much more processing power and memory, nothing has ever resulted in a BSOD.

If there's nothing that can be done to diagnose this further, I'll continue to use the stand alone version.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

This problem cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing machines, as has not been reported before by other users.

Also note that a BSOD always denotes a hardware or device driver error. An application cannot be the cause of a BSOD, although it can trigger it, especially a memory and processor intensive application such as PixInsight. Unless you can provide an image or a data set where this problem can be reproduced, this is a machine-specific issue.

Hi Andy,

This problem cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing machines, as has not been reported before by other users.

Also note that a BSOD always denotes a hardware or device driver error. An application cannot be the cause of a BSOD, although it can trigger it, especially a memory and processor intensive application such as PixInsight. Unless you can provide an image or a data set where this problem can be reproduced, this is a machine-specific issue.

Indeed, I'm a software developer myself so familiar with the concepts... I'm in the process of grabbing the PI source with a view to attempting to debug it to see what I can reproduce.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I decided to persue it via the crash dmp file first as thats often a nice quick way to spot potential areas for investigation.

Turns out that showed the problem immediately, its not the first time I've seen such issues, the fault was in the anti virus software I have installed, AVG, within avgArPot.sys, as you say, driver files.

Thanks for your responses.

Andy.

Last edited:
Back