Stacking sets of photos with different gains

tomb18

Hi figure.. last night was one of the best conditions I have ever had here and was completing my last two hours with a red filter on m45.
Unfortunately, just before I did this, I had changed the gain on the camera from 1 in the first set to 100 in the next set.
How should I handle this? Stack each set separately and combine with her or ?
Thanks for any advice.
Regards, Tom

Hi, firstly did you take Darks and Flats with the different gain settings (hopefully yes). Now process each stack with ImageCalibration and CosmeticCorrection. Now continue with StarAlignment and choose any reference and add all files from both stacks and finally ImageIntegration to produce the Red integrated image. You can of course use the WBPP script and separate the different stacks with a "Grouping Keyword" like "gain" or "time" to differentiate between the different stacks.

John

Yes, I have darks, but only flats and flat darks from the previous gain 1 session. Will that matter though? I would think the flats which were done would be the same but I could be wrong. I can do flats.
So I can integrate all these once I have calibrated them?
Thanks, Tom

If your optical-train has changed then your flats might not work. Give it a try with and without the flats. Essentially after IC and CC your images are "clean" and then all the images can be integrated together.

Back