• algorithmically possible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • algorithmically impossible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sempoo

Hello everyone

I have few really tough questions.

1. is it possible to stack RAWs in PI before demosaicing them?
2. does PI export RAW images into RAW or DNG?
3. does it make sense to use PI for non-astro photography?

cheers,
Sempoo

Here are my thoughts, without warranty:

1. In PixInsight, "stacking" is achieved by applying the following two operations to calibrated (and if applicable debayered) frames:
- image registration, and
- integration of the registered frames.
The first step in the ImageRegistration process is star detection. The monochrome representation of CFA data actually is not an image in the narrow sense. In order to detect stars correctly, CFA data have to be transformed to an RGB image. So the correct workflow for CFA data is: image calibration, debayering, image registration, integration, etc.

2. As far as I know, no specifications are disclosed for proprietary raw formats of regular digital cameras (e.g. Canon: CR2 or CR3, Nikon: NEF, Sony: ARW, Fujifilm: RAF, Pentax: PEF format). So it is not possible to export images in one of these formats. Adobe's DNG format specification is published, but it is not advantageous for astrophotography because it does not consider metadata that are essential in astrophotography. Therefore, I cannot imagine that PixInsight will support DNG format.

Juan Conejero chose a different way in PixInsight. He created the Extensible Image Serialization Format (XISF) https://pixinsight.com/xisf/index.html , the native file format of PixInsight. This format is free and open. The XISF Version 1.0 Specification is available here: https://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/XISF-1.0-spec/XISF-1.0-spec.html . XISF supports astronomical image metadata in a fully standardized and much more structured and rigorous way than FITS format. Therefore it would be desirable that more image acquisition applications supported XISF as output format (currently, NINA seems to be the only one).

3. Yes, of course. PixInsight is fully functional for processing of non-astro images. I am using it for processing daylight images that were captured with my DSLR, and don't apply additional processing software.

Bernd

Back